1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best Practices for Leaving a gen2 prius undriven for 1.5 months

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Gabriel Begin, Jul 31, 2023.

1. Gabriel Begin

Gabriel Begin New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello!

First post here, browsed the forums a lot and found so much helpful info. Thank you to everyone for that!
    I tried to find a previous answer to my question, and didn't see anything that addressed all my concerns.

I'll be traveling to Hawai'i for a month a half in september, and will be leaving my prius in my driveway while I'm gone. I have considered asking family members to drive it, and that may be an option. There are pretty busy though, and have Tesla's they prefer to drive, so I'd like to find out how the best way to leave it parked the whole 1.5 months.

I am thinking to take the starter battery out and leave it connected to a trickle charger while I am gone. My prius has 280k miles and it has a short somewhere I (and my mechanics) haven't been able to diagnose; it runs fine if driven every ~48 hours, anything longer than that will tend to drain the starter battery enough that it won't start.

I am wondering if this is all I need to do to leave my prius safely? Will there be any potential impact on the hybrid battery?

Thanks!

Gabriel

2. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It may not have a catalytic converter when you return.

This is actually a tough one because while you could unhook the auxiliary (12V) battery the pack might get out of balance if not driven for 6 weeks. If you can't find somebody to drive it regularly can you at least find somebody who can keep it in their garage? I guess you could drive it until it was fully charged (all green bars), park it, unhook the 12V in the trunk at the ground post (and don't close the trunk all the way, another reason to "garage it", because unlock requires the 12V be working or crawling through to the back to pull the manual release).

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    If yours is an SKS car just put the tender on the battery if you want Make sure the SKS button is pushed in and then leave the car like you normally do in the driveway locked or unlocked whatever doesn't matter The battery tender is like three amps maybe or less so you should be good if you can use a motorcycle battery tender they come in at one amp so you should be good for that whole whatever it's going to be 48 days should be no problem.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there's no way of knowing, but the hybrid battery is potentially at risk

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius