1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best Prius aftermarket options

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by ctbering, Jul 23, 2008.

1. ctbering

ctbering Rambling Man

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I would be interested in Prius owners favorite aftermarket add-ons. I purchased some pads for the cup-holders and storage compartments and really like them except the double-sided adhesive materials sent with the pads. I suggest Valcro for a few pads and recommended the merchant use these for future customers.
    I have found the dealer options I didn't really want are very good, like the XM radio cargo net and bumper protection. I am interested in what products Prius owners really find valuable, and more importantly, what is not: I don't have any preferences. In fact, I find I like the dealer options I would have neve ordered.
    I am not interested in the merchants embellishing their products here only candid appraisals from Prius owners that have a real experience with an after market item. I have seen:
    the shark antennae,
    mud flaps
    rubber mats
    stabilizer bar making the steering more concise
    conversion to the Prius Touring
    disabling annoying safety feature for Navigation/phone system
    protective strips for the doors preventing chips and dents
    cargo storage containers.
    Am I missing any items? I was surprised by the exact fit of these inexpensive pads and the nice identifying labels for each piece. (too bad for the cheap adhesive)
    I appreciate your honest assessment

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Right now All-Weather floormats are at the top of my list as I just had a huge can of Arizona Ice Tea break open after rolling onto the floor (rear) and emptying its contents all over the floor. The mats contained the entire can (23fl.oz.). :)

For a new car my list topper would be a clear bra for the entire front end. It makes me sick, everytime I was the car, to see all the rock chips in the hood and bumper while the rest of the car is perfect. :(

I enjoy all of my mods but the clear bra would have made me the happiest had I installe dit early on.

3. blamy

blamy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I like the new rear view mirror I installed that has a compass in it.

4. penbed

penbed New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Well,let's see.
    I dislike shark fin so I put chrome stubby on.
    Mirrored window tint.
    Mud flaps to catch stuff,car stays much cleaner.
    Fog lights from blinglights on eBay,much better than stock.
    Bra installed,prefer clear mask but I am all thumbs and there is no local dealer to install mask.
    Thinking about "wood grain" interior,think it will set off my tan leather seats.
    The best mod of all is me behind the wheel!!
    Luv this car....

5. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  6. hammy

hammy Prius Addict

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Easy One!
    1) EV Mode switch as installed on all Prius cars all over the world except America. A fun toy to show off with.
    2) Scanguage II to monitor everything.
    3) Sirius or XM radio via the MFD with all hidden behind glove box.
    4) Side Molding to match the car color.
    5) Mud Flaps for a cleaner car.
    6) Rear bumper guard.
    7) Window vents for hot or rain days.

All these are available here on prius Shop.

7. rwhoyle

rwhoyle Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tinted windows, OEM all-weather mats and mud guards.

8. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Definately the Scan Guage 2. Buy it here!

I have the hood deflector. I like it.

9. eko

eko New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    We have had ours for a month now and we added the following:

Weathertech Floor Liners-Frt & Rear
    Weathertech Cargo Liner
    Window Tint
    3M Invisble Bra
    Nuvii 650 which is shared between the two vehicles

These are must haves IMHO

10. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Great list!

I have all but I have a Nuvii 660. Wise choices. :D

11. kazots

kazots LifesaBeach

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I agree with the clear bra and the mud flaps. The rear bumper guard is great for protecting from scratches. If you don't have leather seats, you will probably need seat covers and have a upholstery shop put a leather cover for the arm rest. The seats and arm rest wear out quickly.

12. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Click the link at the bottom of my sig for the complete list. I started first with those designed to protect the car. And XM radio. Later I focused more on things designed to help with fuel economy.

Of all of them, CAN-View has become my favorite. Won't help you, however, because it's not available anymore except for a plug-in Prius. If I didn't have that, a ScanGauge would be invaluable. Right behind that is the EV switch.

13. pmanza

pmanza Fernsmom

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Don't forget the Prius hood for the MFD and the leather console cover from the same place. I also have the leather trash bag from Prius hood, it fits perfectly on the hump inbetween 2 front seats.
    Fernsmom

14. DBusch

DBusch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I just installed the Katzkin leather interior into my 08. It looks great. I also added seat warmers. Looks like it came from the factory that way. I really would like to add a sunroof someday.
    David

15. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Everything I've got is pretty much listed.

I do have both of the cargo nets, vertical and horizontal. I also have a nice little trashcan with sandbags on both sides that sits on the hump. More of an accessory, really, than a mod.

I did install a back up beeper in the rear taillight. That and my BT plate are really mods.

And my decals.

16. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Godiva, Would you care to expound on the back up beeper mod?

17. mybluegt

mybluegt New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I found a replacement 7440 light bulb with a backup beeper with a halgon bulb, it plugs in where the orginal backup light normally goes. You have to sand the housing a little for it to fit in. Works great. Turn off the inside beeper or it will drive you crasy. Makes the people in the parking lots relaize that you are backing up.:)

18. kazots

kazots LifesaBeach

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Clear bra is a must or something to protect the front. If you take a look at Prii that do not have protection you will usually see some damage by rocks. I would not wait too long.

19. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1. BT Tech Strut Tower Brace. I think it single-handely turned my no-fun-to-drive Standard Prius into a moderately-fun-to-drive car:

[​IMG]

2. BumperDefender.com 2" wide, color-matched, bumper guard strips. A necessity for NYC residents and other frequent parallel parkers. Here's a shot where you can see it on my rear bumper:

[​IMG]

3. Rubber chair leg tips (4 for $2) as front license plate bumpers. Another necessity for NYC residents and other frequent parallel parkers. (Note that you can also get rubber license plate bumpers from NoBump.com. that are much sturdier and more protective, but IMO don't look as nice and cost about $15 for two.) Note - you can also see the BumperDefender.com 2" wide, color-matched, front bumper guard strip in the picture:

[​IMG]

4. Trunk handle mentioned by seasalsa (attaches to rear license plate). Best or most useful $16 I've spent on my Prius:

[​IMG]

5. PriusHoods black leather center console cover. I think it works best in black no matter what color your interior is:

[​IMG]

6. Mesh lumbar back support that Godiva has mentioned elsewhere. It's ugly but it works for my back (bad backs, and what works for them, are very idiosyncratic), and I've since covered it with a somewhat less ugly sheepskin seat cover. You can get it from eBags.com, Amazon.com or some frys stores:

[imglink]http://priuschat.com/forums/attachments/gen-ii-prius-main-forum/8380d1207091681-great-back-support-your-seats-005.jpg[/imglink]

20. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    hey boo. nice car. good additions. i tried the back support recently at the la county fair, but i opted not to get it. they wanted 30.