1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best Prius Color?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tracysbeans, Dec 25, 2005.

1. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

So what is the concenus on the best Prius color? If I buy one I was thinking about getting black with charcoal fabric seats. (Not a leather person).

Also if I do decide to go with a prius will you guys (and girls) help me if I have problems with it? I know nothing about cars and after reading over on edmunds.com about some warning lights going off I'm kinda scared. I don't want to be sitting in Toyota service center all the time. I will get grumpy LOL

I'm glad someone told me about this forum. I had to pull myself away from reading on edmunds. It was all the problems people were having with their Prius. Also I already see now that I can get a better deal on a warranty from this forum. That will save me some money because I think I'm going to get an extended warranty. Just to know I'm covered for at least 7 years.

Thanks, Tracy

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    hiya Tracy, and welcome!

big fan of the black prius myself :D i love mine but others are partial to other colors. the ivory interior is a bit of a pain to take care of so charcoal is definitely a good idea IMO. just know you're going to spend a lot of time washing the car in the coming years...

there are plenty of folks here with some serious in-depth technical knowledge and a few Prius techs around too. the community as a whole is really into problem-solving and we all try to look out for one another. so if you do run into trouble, you have an army of people at your back :)

plus, edmunds overall is kinda biased from what i've seen.

sure there are reports of a few problems like any car, but on the whole it's probably better than any other car out there. many, many people have had tend of thousands of miles of trouble-free driving with only oil changes and tire rotations. others will disagree and tell you their stories as well, i am sure.

where are you located? i'm sure if there's a local club in your area they can point out the best places for service, there are good places and bad places to go.

for now, two pieces of advice. 1. read the manual carefully and 2. YMMV- your mileage may vary. (and we're helpful with tips on that too, do a search on 'mileage' and see what i mean) B)

3. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Wow this is good info! I just read some stories about some who had tons of warning lights come on and if that happened I would get pretty freaked out! I think if my daughter was driving it she would probably have a heart attach LOL (When her Lancer engine check light came on she though he car died :huh: )

I'm in Green Bay. Is there any Prius clubs here? I would love to join!

My last vehicle I owned was a 1990 Black Toyota truck. I loved that truck and yes it did get dirty. But boy when it was clean that truck sparkled! It had a nice black finish to it. Mine even looked newer than some of the newer Black Toyota trucks I ran across.

I just love gadgets but as much as I love them I'm no good at fixing them. So I'm glad you guys/girls would have my back.

I'm thinking about getting the extended warranty from the MA dealer. If I do that is my salesman going to get pissed off at me? I gotta save money were I can!

I say the ivory interior and it was WAY to light for me. Do you have leather seats or fabric seats? I'm leaning towards the fabric because it looks nicer and would be softer.

I'm just so scared someday I would be going down the road and all my warning lights will come on!

Also I'm looking for a car to buy and run as long as possible. I know Toyotas are good for that. But you know things can change. Is anyone worried that other buyers are going to be scared to buy your Toyota with more than 100,000 miles because of the battery at that time?

Will I be ok with just package #1?

I have to check into someone mentioning a AMT on the tax credit. I have to call my tax accountant on Tuesday to see if that will affect me. I'm looking to buy the Prius because of the tax credit so I want to make sure I will be able to get it. If no credit I probably won't be a Prius.

Thanks for all your help! You guys are GREAT! Tracy

4. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    well, there was a recall on 04 and early 05s (although our 05 was built in feb and wasn't part of the recall.) this caused the "christmas tree" of lights and the gas engine would cut out. however, the 06s have the new programming that has overcome that bug. there have been a small smattering of other minor problems, but as i said many people have driven tens of thousands of trouble free miles. each light has its own meaning, get yourself familiar with them so you know what to do if one comes on. likely you won't see any of them except the 'maintenance required' light, which is an oil change reminder. oh yeah, and up in the frozen tundra you'll see the snowflake icon which indicates that it's COLD out!

i know that there's a madison hybrid group- www.madisonhybridgroup.com

he'd better understand. you're well within your rights to deny a warranty from them.

the fabric is nice, however i put on some seat covers to protect them. i like the seat cover fabric better, it's velour. though expensive. :(

i think this depends on how quickly you'll rack up the miles. however, i think by the time the average driver hits 100k many others will have already proven that the prius is reliable beyond 100k and others won't be too hesitant to buy. we're thinking of buying the 100k warranty and selling at 90k to give the buyer some assurance. that's a long ways off though!

there are plenty of people who have the basic packages and have been perfectly happy. it's all a personal decision. if you're happy with the options package 1 offers, then by all means go for it!

5. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi.. and welcome!.. try not to let all the monitoring systems scare you because they are not something to hassle you.
    Think of it more like all the other cars you had in the past just didnt' have all this cool stuff to let you know when issues were arising!
    The prius is among the most reliable cars, so the extra instrumentation will not be a bad thing, but only for good.

just like the human body, the closer you monitor it, the easier it will be to locate a problem and fix it before it becomes a problem!

As you learn the manual a little bit, some of these things that seem scary will become your friend.

In time, the prius should become an extension of your own self as you are able to monitor it so closely.. .. in time, those instruments will actually make you feel more safe and secure, verses not having them!

6. Wynder

Wynder New Member

I've always been a fan of silver cars -- they're pretty classy and aren't really subject to trends... Point in order, my friend who picked up a Royal Purple car back when that was the hip thing to do. :)

White's hard to keep clean, black can be hard to keep shiny -- for me, silver is juuust right. :)

7. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Ok this if all good to know. So when it get so cold out will it start snowing in my car :blink:

Well I was only going with Package #1 for the lowest price. What will I be missing out on (that's cool) by not going with Package #2-8?)

[snapback]178947[/snapback]​

8. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Wait maybe my puppydog will get jealous with me and my Prius ;)

[snapback]178948[/snapback]​

9. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    service should be fine with the ext warranty provided it's through toyota. otherwise you could tell them you got an offer for a toyota ext warranty for (name the price here) and ask if they'd beat it by a few bucks.

i got my seat covers at toyotapartsstore.com- click on prius and then click on seat covers. they are high quality and fit like a wonder, but a pain to install.

the smart key system is about the coolest thing i've seen on a car. basically, you never have to take your keys out of your pocket to drive the car. personally, i also prefer the side and curtain airbags but again that's a personal choice. other people swear by the navigation system but i've been okay without it. if you have an ipod, the aux in would be nice. the 05s and older don't have those :(

10. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    1. Look in the very last forum for WI Prius clubs. If there's none in Green Bay or nearby, you can always try to START one, using PriusChat as a beginning!

2. Do you know that you can buy an extended warranty ANY TIME before 36,000 mi./3 years? Dealers try to get you to buy one NOW, but there's no advantage. Why would you want to pay finance charges on that, anyway? Save up some money and buy it later. There's $1,000 less to finance. Just tell the "finance person (when you pay), "I think I'll wait".

3. The former (until '05) ivory interior isn't offered now. In place of it (besides gray) is "bisque", a darker "tan". I like it and will get it with my blue Prius. Go look at one!

4. Less than 1% of Prius owners see the warning lights. As galaxee says, read the manual so you'll know about each light. Do you have AAA, or towing coverage on your car insurance, just in case? If not, the premium for towing with your insurance isn't expensive.

5. Having to replace the "big battery" IS an issue. Already (since '01) the cost of them through a dealer has come down from about $5K to a little over $3K. But the Prius is so new, no one really knows when most batteries can be expected to "naturally" wear out. Here in CA and some other states, they're guaranteed 150K mi. Many of us guess they'll last much longer, perhaps 200,000 mi. But yes, some potential buyers who know a lot about the Prius would be afraid of that. Still, hundreds of Priuses with more than 100K mi. have already been sold.

6. The Prius comes with so many amenities, you don't need a lot more, IMO. I'm getting a new pkg. #3 (because #2 isn't sold here), mainly because I like the keyless entry (I have an '04). But I could live without it and be happy. I don't even want the new rear camera, because it won't be useful in most of my driving situations. I don't need navigation because I'm good with directions and maps. Better sound system, including an mp3 jack? Don't need them. Bluetooth? I don't have a cell phone, and if I did I'd use it the usual way. HID lights? Nope. Traction control? The one thing I won't have that would make me feel a tiny bit safer. You like gadgets. Will you feel envious of others a lot if you don't have them?

11. Newman

Newman New Member

I'd like to see a chocolate brown, wondering
    mostly what it might look like. The new silver
    for 06 is nice. A deep blue of some sort would
    be nice.

12. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Oh so I wouldn't get the smart key system with Package #1 huh? My quote comes with side curtains and airbags and also floor mats. It's written in on my quote for Package #1. Can't someone add a navigation system to their car for around 1,000 on the side later on?

13. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

I won't be financing my car ;) If I tell the salesman I think I will wait he will probably TRY to tell me I can't wait. BUT thanks to you guys I know I can ;)

I saw the gray on a Prius and loved it so if I buy I will get the gray.

Ok thanks for that info!

Oh I though I got keyless entry with Packge #1?

Yes I will be envious of others who have all of the options. I just can't justify paying for them though. So I will have to live with a lesser package.

14. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

My daughter doesn't want me to get silver because her car is silver! :rolleyes:

I just say a pic of a white one with some cool added rims. I never say the white before. It's pretty nice!

15. Newman

Newman New Member

Tracy,

I have a an 06 #3. I thought many months about this choice.
    Where I am, I cannot get the #1, but even if I could, I would
    not recommend it, nor buy one. It simply gives you nothing
    but the car itself, which is great, but I think it is worth a little
    extra The #3 package gives you just enough to make you
    feel like your prius is a prius. The backup camera, aux input,
    and SKS are nice features, to me worth it, especially since all
    my music is on an ipod. With the backup camera, even though
    i do not rely on it soley, it is great to know exactly when I am
    going to back into that curb block behind me, or to readjust
    my position in a large parking lot with white lined spaces (I can pull
    up, put it into reverse, and see exactly where the line is for the
    space opposite me, and back up a bit if needed). The SKS is
    really nice, and rounds out the whole package, and make me
    feel that not only did I get a great car, looks great, gets great
    MPG, it also can do some pretty cool stuff.

This is coming from someone who considered buying out of state
    a #1. Just something to think about. It may be that after all
    that, those extra things really are not important to you after all.
    You will still love the car whether a #1 or higher

16. Newman

Newman New Member

I think you do, if you mean that you can open it by pressing
    a button on the fob that unlocks your doors, but SKS is more
    than keyless, it allows you to simply walk up to your car (doors
    locked) and grab the door handle, and the car unlocks the door
    for you. Then you get in, close the door, press start, and drive
    away, never using your fob once in the whole process to either
    unlock or start the car.

17. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

You see those options you are mentioning aren't really nessecary for me. I think I can get use to backing up without the camera and wouldn't trust the camera anyway.

Whats an SKS?

I only listen to the FM radio in the car so I don't do DVD's on anything. I make to many shorts trips to really need mucj music.

Maybe I'm missing something I might like from option #3 but I'm not really understanding what each of the options REALLY does. I guess I would have to see what it can do in person to understand.

I just don't want to waste my money on buying options that I wouldn't use.

I would LOVE the navigation system BUT definalty not putting out the extra to get that at the what #8 package cost :rolleyes:

18. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Ok what is FOB? LOL (I'm Blond)

Also how does it know I'm the owner LOL LOL

19. Newman

Newman New Member

The financial officer may want proof, but that does not mean one has to provide proof. And, definitely do not mention the offer for members herein as Troy and Danny have requested.

:)

20. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member