1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best Roadside Assistance?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ZC1, Jun 2, 2008.

1. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm currently receiving and looking into roadside assistance for my 2008 Prius and to include my other vehicles.

I'm looking at AAA or a combination of my extended warranty and my auto insurance, but I have no guarantee they will cover those moments we sometimes get into.

Moments such as, flat tire, run out of gas, lock the keys in the car, kill the battery, stall in traffic, etc.

What roadside assistance do you use?
    What is the best cost/value?
    Thanks.

ZC1

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I recommend betterworldclub. They give discounts for hybrids and charge gas-guzzlers extra. They even cover bicycles. If you join through my PortlandHSD.info site I get a very small commission to help run the club, but even if you go direct it's better than Awful Awful Awful.

3. chrisspaulding

chrisspaulding sexy, high tech, fun

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    What am I missing about Awful Awful Awful? They've always been there for me.

4. KayakerNC

KayakerNC Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have AAA and when I had to use them, their service was quick and good.
    However, "The Lady" (my Garmin Nuvi 200W) has pretty much eliminated the need for Trip-Tics.

5. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Let [​IMG] answer your questions. Click the ball to go to their AAA watch page.

This is what [​IMG] has to say.

Ken Silverstein, writing in the May 2002 Harper's Magazine, has an article Smitten with a Club - Your AAA dues fuel pollution and sprawl which betterworldclub reprints on their site.

6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  7. chrisspaulding

chrisspaulding sexy, high tech, fun

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    WOW, I had no idea beyond I call them, they get me back on the raod.
    Thanks for sharing. That NASCAR sponsorship article was an eye opener.
    As soon as my membership expires, it's on to a better Co!

8. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Check their site now. Discounts for leaving AAA and they will set it up so your betterworldclub membership starts when your AAA ends, so you never have to worry about double- or lack-of-coverage.

9. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I've switched to BWC myself, but have never had a need to call them for service so I can't comment on how good they are compared to AAA.

Nevertheless, BWC is recommended by the Car Talk guys, so I suppose one can't go wrong with them. AAA may have good service, but I prefer not to support orgs with anti-environmental stance.

Has anyone had to call BWC for roadside assistance yet? What's your experience?

10. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Click and Clack the Tappet Brothers?
    Not them, they don't know anything about cars, they really just sell kitchen appliances.
    :D

ZC1

11. pjarvi

pjarvi New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Okay. Too many changes for this old fellow (60).

Last year bought a Prius and am very pleased with that decision and the car.....Groovy (oops, showing my age--I mean the Prius Rocks!).
    Then I purchased an electric lawn mower (made in the US by the by in Vermont) and absolutely love it..... quiet....no gas smell.....
    Now, I find out about this BWC auto club and after looking into it and plan to replace by AAA membership with BWC.....

Egad, what's next???? Vote for Obama?? Well, yes, after much research, I plan to give him my vote in November. I can just see my dear old Dad spinning in his grave about all of this! Oh well.....

It is fun to be old..............but dang it...............I FORGET WHY!!!!

Just kidding because I love life and what it has to offer. It is this site that is awesome, I've learned so much by just sitting on the sidelines. Thanks.

Pjarvi, Maine

12. warrior

warrior New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Jitterbug roadside assistance $ 4.00 a month

13. BoltonJoe

BoltonJoe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My wife and I have used AAA for years.

It's not that we like 'em--they seem to be more dedicated to trying to sell insurance and overpriced credit cards than providing roadside assistance--but they have always been there when we needed them.

Does anybody know how effective the BWC is outside of California?

This isn't a joke--I'd love to drop my affiliation with an anti-environmental, pro-Detroit lobbying organization. But I'd also like to have roadside assistance that works.

Thanks,
    --Joe

14. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    the thing about AAA is, that probably every region in the united states has their own AAA club. a good example is drunk drivers. here in california AAA goes out of thier way to give free towing to impaired drivers on new years.

but hold off.. not so fast.. georgia florida has a separate AAA company. and not only do they offer free towing to impaired drivers on new years day, but from thanksgiving to new years 7 days a week. and the other major holidays. and they have been offering tow to go for the last 10 years

in california you have to subscribe to the basic no frills option $65 for 1 year, that only covers 5 or so miles of free towing and they make you pay for the gas when they deliver it. if you do not turn in any towing related claims for 1 year, then you can pay $120 a year for their premium plus plan, which covers 4 x 100 mile tows each year
    or i think 1 free 200 mile tow. plus they do not charge you for each gallon of gas. they also knock down 50.00 off your glass deductible, and there is a 1 day free rental car deal

free towing for impaired drivers who do not have AAA
    California new years day

free towing for AAA south...

2009 Tow to Go Holiday Schedule
    Holidays Date of Actual Holiday Days Tow to Go is Provided
    Super Bowl
    St. Patrick's Day
    Cinco de Mayo
    Memorial Day
    Independence Day
    Labor Day
    Halloween
    Thanksgiving - New Year's Day
    February 1st (Sunday)
    March 17th (Tuesday)
    May 5th (Tuesday)
    May 25th (Monday)
    July 4th (Saturday)
    September 7th (Monday)
    October 31st (Saturday)
    November 26th (Thursday)
    January 30th, 31st, February 1st
    March 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th, 17th
    May 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th
    May 22nd, 23rd, 24th, 25th
    July 3rd, 4th, 5th
    September 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th
    October 30th, 31st
    November 26th - January 2nd

in case your wondering, the tab is picked up by AAA south and Budweiser

15. Porsche998

Porsche998 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    We had gotten good service from AAA - they have offices everywhere and if running low on cash on a trip - they will cash your check up to a certain amount if you are a member. My complaint with AAA is that when one needs them the most - they are all backed up - a really cold morning that you need a jump start - a snow storm where you got stuck in a snow bank are all times that the wait will likely be hours but I think in reality, one will wait hours for any raodside assistance at those times.