1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best Satellite Radio for 07

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by PaladinSF, Feb 26, 2007.

1. PaladinSF

PaladinSF New Member

My prior expereince is that XM has better reception, but Sirius has better programing. Which of these products works best with Prius? From what I've read, Vais Tech has problems with both XM and Sirius. Who makes the Toyota XM? Will a Toyota dealer install the Pioneer unit sold by Coastaletech? What do you Prius experts recommend?

2. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    :blink:

I'm sorry, your words were too small for my screen. Can you adjust them to something I can see?

3. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I can't answer all of your questions, nor can I compare the two services, but I can comment on my own experience as an XM user of several years.

XM's reception is fine except when the antenna fails to get a good view of the southern sky -- behind tall buildings, mountains, parking garages, tunnels, etc. I have no reason to believe it's any better or worse than Sirius.

XM's programming more than meets my needs. My only disappointment (ever so minor) is NASCAR's move from XM to Sirius this year.

In the Prius, I started with an XM Roady. I upgraded to the Vais Tech unit in December and I am very pleased. See this thread for more.

Others have bought and installed the Terk unit. See this thread for further. It's less expensive, but displays only 10 characters. The Vais unit displays 16.

4. judymcfarland

judymcfarland Queen of Moral Indignation

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I had the dealer install the "Toyota XM kit" in my '07 - the only intereference/static I get is a brief stutter when the southern exposure is blocked (like for a second when rolling out of my garage). I find it amazing that I get good reception even stopped for a light under an east/west overpass near my home. As for content - I'm listening to music & I find plenty of satisfactory choices.

5. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  6. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have Sirius in my 2005 and 2007 Prius. Great reception (except under trees and overpasses) and sound quality. Good breadth and depth of programming. I purchased the "lifetime" package, so no monthly fee. Best of all: no commercials. Greater selection for NPR and PRI.

This discussion may be moot now that XM and Sirius are looking to merge because of financial problems.

7. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've had both services. XM, for me at least, was far more resistant to drop-outs. I had a portable Delco XM unit and it got fine reception with the antenna (temporarily) mounted on the dash, while my Sirius unit, with external antenna on the roof regularly gets dropouts while driving on certain tree-lined streets. But that may have had more to do with the concentration of ground repeaters here. There is only one Sirius repeater locally, while I believe there are many XM repeaters.

8. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Considering there's talk about a Sirius/XM merger, this may be moot as skruse has said.

9. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Feb 26 2007, 03:24 PM) [snapback]396815[/snapback]</div>
    I'm sure that will be a while. It will take months (or longer) for them just to clear the anti-trust hurdles (with no guarantee of success), not to mention the mechanics of the actual merger.

10. Texas911

Texas911 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have both and find that XM has a larger library of music (not as many repeats) and the reception is incredible compared to Sirius. I vote XM.