1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best selling vehicles in US for 2005

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by wstander, Jul 15, 2006.

1. wstander

wstander New Member

Curious as to which vehicles topped the sales chart last year? Here are the models most likely to have wound up in a driveway (or commercial fleet) near you in 2005. Full-size trucks continue to dominate; no surprises there. What is surprising, though, is the fall of the mighty Ford Explorer. A perennial top 10 favorite, the ute saw a notable drop in sales last year. As a result, the Chevrolet TrailBlazer is the only sport-utility vehicle to crack 2005's top 10 list.

Ford F-Series (includes F-150, F-250 Super Duty and F-350 Super Duty) — 901,463

Chevrolet Silverado (includes 1500, 1500 Classic, 1500 SS, 1500 SS Classic, 1500HD, 1500HD Classic, 2500HD, 2500HD Classic, 3500, 3500 Classic) — 705,891

Toyota Camry, Camry Hybrid and Camry Solara — 433,703

Dodge Ram (includes 1500, 1500 SRT-10, 2500 and 3500) — 400,453

Honda Accord — 369,293

Honda Civic — 308,415

Nissan Altima — 255,371

Chevrolet Impala — 246,481

Chevrolet Malibu — 245,861

Chevrolet TrailBlazer and TrailBlazer EXT — 244,150
    Source: Automotive News

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/list/top10/...51/article.html

2. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I wonder what the numbers would look like if you excluded commercial purchases where a large truck is needed, as opposed to individual purchases where a large truck is not needed for anything other than satisfying the ego of the driver. Advertising has done a very good job of convincing much of the American public that being a man means driving a big tough vehicle. How would your construction worker buddies respond if you drove up to the bar in a Geo Metro? For many that would be a very uncool purchase decision.

However, with gas at $3 per gallon and rising, wasting money on a big gas guzzler is soon going to be pretty uncool. If you need a big truck, fine. But how many actually need them?

When I was young, my parents drove their six kids around in a small station wagon. Now suburban moms with two kids say we need the 15 passenger SUV because they might have to drive the baseball team somewhere. In the past, we used two or three cars on the rare occasions when baseball team sized crowds needed to be moved.

3. wstander

wstander New Member

Gas prices in 2005 were relatively as shocking as the gas prices of 2006.

Of interest to me is that each year, some sort of truck leads the list of best selling vehicles.

Let's assume that only abot 10% of the true commercial sales were for ego purposes (in your scenario), that still leaves at least 90% as viable commercial requirements (some of those are the targets of diesel and E85 flexfuel).

I have 3 coworkers who drive F-series trucks as commuter vehicles and one only uses his truck for home repair stuff.

The fact remains that trucks are THE MOST POPULAR vehicle in this country. Which partially explains why GM, Ford, D-C, and even the Asian companies went 'there'.

If the public could only buy from one large pickup source, they would still buy the full-size truck instead of a Prius or Honda Civic Hybrid. Anyone who needs to tow anything over 5,000 lbs has no choice but to buy Ford or GM. That is changing a bit, as Nissan and Toyota now have more capable trucks. We shall see how well they compare after 10 years.

I too recall the days of 2-3 car caravans; gee, 3 old Corollas spewing 6X the poison of one of todays H2s...what a deal!

In any case, it will prove interesting to see what the breakout will be when the 2006 listing is compiled. I suspect that the F-series truck will still lead, but there may be some cahnges in other categoris.

4. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think you missed one of my key points -- namely that many people buy larger vehicles than they actually need. I suggest a major reason of this is the success of advertising. Boys and men see thousands of commercials that show handsome successful men having a good time driving these vehicles. We all want to be accepted by our peers. Advertising sends an extremely powerful, non-verbal message that people who drive these vehicles will be admired in society. The implication is you are somehow better if you drive them.

As many experts have said, advertising is one factor driving compulsive behavior in society. We're told in powerful non-verbal ways that we'll be happy if we buy things like SUVs. But it's never enough. Advertising and media drown out the voice of parents and others who say the real way to be happy is be a good person.

The point I'm making is that people often buy these vehicles to show off, to feel better about themselves, not because they need them. I suspect 80-90% of SUV purchases are unnecessary. For example, what percentage of pickup trucks that you see on the road have something in the bed? Almost every pickup truck I see has an empty bed, meaning the extra capacity is rarely used. The sad thing is that these people love their kids and would probably do anything for them. Yet they buy the SUV, not realizing it is damaging the world their kids will grow up in.

You suggest driving 6 cars puts out more emissions than one SUV, and you're right. But you missed my point again. The point is most people, like suburban moms, only need the extra capacity 10% of the time or less. Therefore, 10% of the time you're making less emmissions. 90% of the time you're making way more.

Demand for large vehicles is created by advertising. That is the point of advertising -- to sell things. Other societies that drive smaller cars don't seem to have any problems. I think we could survive on smaller more efficient vehicles as well.

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Seems like that's a quantity issue. Make a LOT of something (then offer a carrot deal like the GM employee discount) and you're bound to sell a lot.

Now, look at how long a car sits on a lot before it's sold. Consistently a Prius is sold within a week. It's been either the lowest or one of the lowest cars in days on the lot.

Now...separately the list into two.

One for trucks, one for cars.

And why is the Camry mixed with the Solara?

Doesn't seem to be a very scientific list or comparison.

6. wstander

wstander New Member

Oh, I got your point. No doubt that advertizing does affect some purchase decisions. But I don't think that an ad for an H2 will cause a person who is in the market for a $20k sedan to rush out and buy an SUV for $39k. He/she MAY opt for a minivan or hatchback for a few dollars more, but that is no different than opting for the nav system on a Prius.

I still contend that people buy the vehicle or vehicles that they NEED; advertizing may sway them to your showroom more than to mine. Recall too that most families have more than one vehicle, so we don't know how many Prius and HCH belong as commuter cars to all of those trucks.

On that note, I have now started to see more 'machismo' commercials for H3s, where the person trades his/her minivan for the H3.

7. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I agree, for someone that knows the type of vehicle they want, ads probably won't sway them into another category. I'm talking more about the big picture, the consciousness of America if you will. Our kids are bombarded with ads strongly implying they are better tougher men if they own a pickup/SUV. This has an impact.

You say most people buy the vehicle they need and it's my impression that, when it comes to SUVs, they do not. I don't know if there's any research to show for sure. Who would admit they don't really need the SUV, but they really wanted one, which is OK too BTW. I know many small families with SUVs. They definitely don't need them, except maybe 1% of the time. So the question becomes, do you want to pay for the extra capacity (at the pump with dollars and in lower quality of life for you and your kids due to greater emissions) 100% of the time, when you rarely use the extra capacity. In other words, do you need to haul a 5-6,000 pound metal box around with you everywhere? People with small cars seem to figure out how to move big loads when they need to.

Re people needing the trucks, again how many pickups do you see driving around with empty beds? I see them all the time.

8. HokieHybrid

HokieHybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This also does not account for the MAJOR discounts that were put in place last year by the big three. I know several people who only updated to a new truck last year b/c they could get it for so much off MSRP with employee pricing. I wonder how much of a hit they took this year for that?

And...while I'm sure there are plenty of people who do not need a full size truck...face it...not everyone can drive a hatchback with little ground clearance and little towing capability. I can...but it doesn't make sense for my father who does wordworking and remodeling.

We should be looking into options for making the cars and trucks people need....and want...to drive more fuel efficient and cleaner. Geez I'm so anti smug right now. I need to get out of the house.

9. wstander

wstander New Member

I must admit that I do very well without a truck; home depot and enterprise will provide on the odd time I need them.

I live in horse country, and most of my neighbors either are contractors and/or have reason to tow trailers, etc. So my view of what is normal is skewed to life in suburbia and rural America.

I have never owned nor wished to own an SUv. I did have what I consider to be THE most useful vehicle: a minivan. Except for the odd large object, it provided safety, comfort, reasonable (33 highway) mileage, adn versatile utility beyond what I see on SUVs. My Prius provides 98% of all that; what it lacks I can rent;-).

The quandry becomes when I can only have one vehicle and need it to do heavy things.

10. ServoScanMan

ServoScanMan Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    With gas prices increasing, I have noticed quite a few dinosaurs (trucks) for sale on the local corner streets here. It would be interesting to see how this years numbers end up (or down). I know a few people at work that traded in their dinosaurs for more fuel effiecient cars.

11. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jul 15 2006, 02:13 PM) [snapback]286814[/snapback]</div>
    Because the Solara is a Camry with two doors. I remember when ads refered to it as camry solara. They camry got dropped for ease, and likely helped in sales. It's like with the Matrix. The car is just a Corolla wagon. It even says Coralla Matrix on the window sticker, but noone refers to it that way.

12. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    As someone who went to a car from an SUV, SUVs have other attributes than just "looking macho". One big one I miss is the high riding position, it makes visability much better and gives one a much more commanding view of the road. I also miss the ability to drive around without worrying about bottoming out on speed bumps and parking curbs etc.

Would I buy another truck based SUV? Probably not. Would I buy a crossover type SUV like a Lexus RX or Infiniti FX? Absolutely. As for gas mileage, the mileage in the Lexus isn't great, I get 18-19 city and 25 26 on the highway, since it requires premium fuel vs regular in my Explorer, the Lexus costs me MORE in gas.

Gotta remember, its not up to you or anyone else to decide for other people what they "need".

as for that list, thats really a list of fleet sales. The trucks and SUVs are probably at least 50% fleet.

13. wstander

wstander New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ Jul 16 2006, 03:47 PM) [snapback]287267[/snapback]</div>

Is that fact or a guess? I have bought a few vehicles from the 'fleet manager', but I suspect that you mean something different.

In any case, no fleet buyer will buy more than is needed, image and ego be damned. Maybe the supervisor or owner gets the 'ego machine', the remainder work for a living :)

14. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The new Hummer commercials are absolutely ridiculous. One is a guy being encouraged to "get his manhood back" by driving a Hummer and the other is a playground spat between 2 moms where the loser "gets her girl on" by trading a Minivan for a Hummer. That really makes you wonder at the intelligence and self-image of the Hummer driver.

15. wstander

wstander New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Salsawonder @ Jul 16 2006, 05:34 PM) [snapback]287311[/snapback]</div>

Eh, that is advertising...

sort of like the 2 Lexus vehicles colliding to make a 'performance SUV'

Ya know, the point of advertising is to get you to notice the product...

even if it irritates you B) B)

16. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wstander @ Jul 16 2006, 07:00 PM) [snapback]287275[/snapback]</div>
    I mean they sell a LOT of vehicles to corporations, local governments, rental car companies, etc. Thats not a list of the top 10 CONSUMER vehicles.

17. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ Jul 17 2006, 06:07 PM) [snapback]287863[/snapback]</div>
    Unfortunately, I don't know that figures that exclude the above are readily available. Anyhow, here's the top 20 selling vehicles in the US thru June 06.

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybri...omktNews&rpc=44

You'll need to view the source since the formatting is messed up.

18. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Unfortunately you're right, there aren't. I think the dropoff in Explorer sales for instance is because they've become more expensive and rental fleets aren't as interested in them.

19. Pollenfax

Pollenfax New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Salsawonder @ Jul 16 2006, 06:34 PM) [snapback]287311[/snapback]</div>
    Finally! Someone else has seen it. No one I know has. Made me think I was hallucinating. :blink:

The first time I saw this commercial I thought it was a joke, that I had Comedy Central on or something. The second time it disturbed me. The third time it made me irritated to think that someone was actually paid to come up with that concept.

The funny thing is, up here in Montana you never see a guy driving a Hummer. It's always a woman.

The few Prius I've seen have been driven by men.

20. wstander

wstander New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HokieHybrid @ Jul 15 2006, 12:09 PM) [snapback]286837[/snapback]</div>

Good point, but I think that the standard pickup truck has been THE top seller for decades now, not just since rebates, etc.