1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best Setup for 2007 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by stevie_tech, Dec 5, 2007.

1. stevie_tech

stevie_tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I am fairly new here to priuschat.com, and I've been reading through many of the forums with no luck finding a definite answer to my situation.

I just acquired my Prius in September of this year. It is an '07 Touring, package #5 (fully-loaded minus leather).

I am looking for a solution to match all of the components in my previous raido. In my '05 Chevy Trailblazer, I had a Pioneer AVIC-Z1 with bluetooth, XM w/ NavTraffic, and iPod integration. I want all of these features, plus the capability of DVD video.

I saw the Coastal Tech Lockpick 3, which will be a great addition, but that still leaves a true iPod integration and XM. I know that I can get the XM module from Toyota and an iPod adapter from many different sources, but will the Lockpick 3 work alongside these other solutions.

And as for the iPod integration, what does everyone believe the "BEST" solution is? USA Spec, DICE, iPod2Car, Coastal Tech (currently sold out), Soundgate/Vais? There are so many adapters and from what I have read, each seem to function differently. I don't want to lose any current functionality, I'd like to have the text displayed on the screen (song title, artist, album), and it would also be nice to have playlist selection without having to specially rename the playlists to act as a CD changer (a couple of models I saw required this).

To summarize, I'm going to purchase the Lockpick 3, but I'd like some input on an iPod integration and XM module that will work alongside the Lockpick. Thanks in advance!! :D

2. Burner

Burner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We have the Lock pick 3 and the Coastal Tech XM unit installed in my Wife's Prius, and they play nice together. I don't have Nav Traffic for XM though.

As far as iPod integration goes, you may be a little disappointed coming the Pioneer set-up. I have a Pioneer set-up in my current car, and although the iPod integration is a little slow, it is nice to have full use of the iPod. IMO, all of the units that integrate through the MFD in the Prius have drawbacks. Some only allow you to use Playlists, and others are rather clunky in use to access artists, etc. The main options seem to be The Dice Unit, VaisTech and Coastal Tech. As I hope to add a second Prius to our garage shortly, I have been struggling over the same issue. I need full control of the iPod, as it will be what I listen to most of the time. I thought my best bet would be a separate controller run the the Aux In connection. I was thinking about the Harmon Kardon Drive + Play 2 until I learned of the new Alpine Unit. I ordered one of these the second week of November, but they still don't have them in stock, and last I checked they weren't on Alpine's Web site. As of now, I'm just in Limbo until I get my car anyway, so if it doesn't arrive by that time I'll have to re-think things.

3. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    it wouldn't do any good to point out the simple fun of
    DRIVING this thing, would it?
    _H*

4. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    For example

What would be the point of that ??

Attached Files:

5. ebsmythe

ebsmythe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Coastal Tech will not sell to Canada

Although Coastal's website accepts Canadian addresses and postal codes, if you continue to buy you will find that they do not want to sell to Canadians.
    Why? Who knows. It may be the hassle of filling out a declaration for Customs. So along with the other comments about poor customer service we can add this one. I think their products are good for Prius owners. I hope someone else starts up to compete with Coastal Tech and that they carry similar stuff and will do business with Canada.

6. longterm

longterm Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just installed the VAIS SoundLinq this morning, and it works perfectly. The install went great, the unit worked immediately...

Highly recommended!