1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best Sirius for Pri

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by rufaro, Aug 4, 2006.

1. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I MUST have CarTalk, so XM is out . Period. End of discussion. Now that that is out of the way...what model Sirius has worked well for others so inclined?

And dh is travelling in Europe w/ ds for another week or so, so I need to get this done FAST!

Thanks, all! :D

2. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Aug 4 2006, 11:19 PM) [snapback]298081[/snapback]</div>
    Best option going right now is to get the integrated Sirius tuner built for the Solara/Avalon/Land Cruiser/Scion xB......it's Toyota part # PTS031-00052
    You'll also need the fit-kit (wiring harness) Toyota part # PTS031-00051
    Do yourself a favor & get a magnetic mount external antenna to replace the crappy inside-the-glass one that comes with the tuner (I got mine at Best Buy for $37)
    Parts (tuner & fit kit) online are going for about $240 plus tax & shipping.

To get all this & an installation instruction DVD (for a little extra $$$) you can opt for the SiriusPrius
    from Factory Interactive.

Either way, this is the most well integrated solution because unlike all of the plug-n-play units out there,
    this package integrates with your factory radio, letting you use your steering wheel controls & MFD to control
    the Sirius tuner....even gives you artist/title info on the MFD (albeit with a 10 character limitation).

Good luck!

3. pre-cbs

pre-cbs New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GeoGeek @ Aug 5 2006, 06:03 AM) [snapback]298172[/snapback]</div>
    Did you install the unit on the driver side rear or passenger side rear?

4. ajprius

ajprius New Member

I have been watching equally close to this, since we also have sirius.

There is yet another device soon to hit the market which is also integrated that I'm very curious about. (in addition to the existing OEM parts mentioned above.)

It is the SLS from Vais Technology. You can read the posts here.

Vais Tech Forum

I'd love to hear some actual reviews once it hits the market in the next week or so.

5. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pre-cbs @ Aug 5 2006, 11:41 AM) [snapback]298202[/snapback]</div>
    Driver's side rear...just over the wheel well, behind the rtim panel.

6. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GeoGeek @ Aug 5 2006, 06:03 AM) [snapback]298172[/snapback]</div>
    It is now $395, including: SIRIUS Satellite Radio Tuner Kit for 2004, 2005, and 2006 Prius. Includes Tuner, upgraded micro antenna, logic cable, DVD install video, install manual, and mounting hardware.

Note, "upgraded micro antenna." And I THINK they only charge sales tax in VA & NJ, where they have physical presences. (And, if you can take it to either their NJ or VA locations, they'll do the installation for $100).

Ordered mine...will post back if I can follow their "easy-to-install" instructions. (This from someone who had to have someone ELSE follow the directions to disable the backup beep! :eek: )

7. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ajprius @ Aug 5 2006, 05:19 PM) [snapback]298354[/snapback]</div>

The release date is in September--assuming no hitches.

8. mike_m

mike_m New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Aug 6 2006, 04:34 PM) [snapback]298712[/snapback]</div>

Mine works like a champ in my package 5. I have the small magnetic antenna on the roof

9. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mike_m @ Aug 9 2006, 11:56 AM) [snapback]300221[/snapback]</div>
    Where is the Sirius device itself put? How does the antenna get to the room--run up through a window or something? Any drilling involved?

I'd emailed FI about this, but didn't get a response.

10. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottR @ Aug 9 2006, 09:08 AM) [snapback]300225[/snapback]</div>
    Jon, at FI has been great with my pre-order queries. Try emailing him directly at [email protected]. Mine is scheduled to arrive tomorrow...and Jon PROMISED me their directions are easier than the ones for disabling the backup beep (which I could NOT follow and had to get dh to deal with...) :D

11. mike_m

mike_m New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottR @ Aug 9 2006, 12:08 PM) [snapback]300225[/snapback]</div>

Mine is under the passenger front seat, with the harness run under the the right side body trim next to the door. The glove box and a AC vent were removed on the right side, and the harness simply plugged into the radio. The antenna is on the roof next to the hatch back. The wiring comes from the hatch area. No drilling. It runs though the headliner, A posts, down to receiver. But mine was done at Toyota in about 30 minutes. I was watching it done. After seeing it, I should have done it myself. It was very simple. Jon's dvd is very thorough. It will take you step by step. I wanted mine under the seat for easy access. Since you are doing it yourself, I recommend following Jon's instructions, and locations.

12. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mike_m @ Aug 9 2006, 12:30 PM) [snapback]300236[/snapback]</div>
    No problems from Toyota installing something you didn't buy from them? I had this vision of walking in with it and them saying, "you want us to install that?"

What did they charge? I was debating taking the car to Factory Interactive (about 150-160 mile round trip) I live on Long Island), but doing it with the local dealer would be much simpler.

13. mike_m

mike_m New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottR @ Aug 9 2006, 12:50 PM) [snapback]300251[/snapback]</div>

I only paid them 40.00 to install. The reason, was that when I bought my car the sales person had told me that JBL was all I needed to get the Sirius integrated. So package 5 was what I ordered. When the car arrived, she called and told me that it wasn't compatible because I did not have NAV. At that point they said if I bought a Sirius unit, they would install it for free, and give me a 1 year subscription. SO I went with the Exact Visor unit. After reading the posts here for a couple of months, I decided to order mine from Jon. I call the Toyota dealer, and told them the story, and how I ordered my car with package 5 based on the integrated Sirius. I told them that I found an integrated unit that will work in the Prius without NAV. They said since I was given bad info to begin with, they would install it for 40 bucks just to cover the installer's time. If you make friends with a service writer, I would think they should be able to take care of you. they kept insisting that it wouldn't work, but I told them that it is a special receiver that they didn't have, and they need to try it anyway. I think they were more interested in plugging it in, to show me I was wrong. It worked great, and that's my happy ending, Siriusly.... :)

14. dbotello

dbotello Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I bought and installed the factory interactive Sirius solution. Great package. The company was great, the product worked well, and the DVD that came with it (installation instructions) was first rate. Walks you through each step. The actual tuner is installed inside the car pretty much above the wheel well behind the driver. You will be running cables through the car, there is no drilling, but there is dissasembly involved. The whole thing took about two hours for me, but I had no problems. It was a little nerve racking at first, but that quickly passed. The antenna (micro) sits on the back of my hatchback near the opening behind the standard antenna. The unit they supply does have a 10 character limitation, but since I am not reading it while driving it hasn't been an issue for me.