1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best Solution for "Oh no, Where Are My Keys!"

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PatapscoPete, Aug 9, 2006.

1. PatapscoPete

PatapscoPete New Member

I have been searching PC for the best solution for the "Oh no, Where are my keys!" scenario. I.e. I'm now at work with the Prius, and ... oh, let's try, "dropped the fob down a storm drain." My other fob is home, and I'm now sitting forlornly looking at the Prius, wondering where I went wrong in life, and how the devil am I going to get home.

I'm sure this has never happened to anyone at PC ... they've already figured out how to never find themselves in this position. What's the solution?

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    several people have posted the following possible solution: get a copy of the mechanical key made, and attach it to the outside of the car (special boxes are made for this purpose). then hide a dead key in the car (dead so the sks doesn't cause problems). If you loose your key, you can first get into the car, and second stick the key into the slot and still be able to drive the car.

of course, all of this begs the question "what happens if a theif finds your keys?" - and by that, i mean both the one you lost and the one you hid in your car

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    did you really drop the fob down the drain?? bummer....

at first i thought you were someone else based on your avatar, but now realize that you are not that person whose cars (yes he has two of them) have SKS

for logistical reasons, i would never have both fobs together as the other has suggested. i would just get a ride home somehow, get the other fob, go to the dealer get another copy made (losing both greatly increases the cost of replacement)

4. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    As you pointed out (and i tried too), keeping one in the car for emergencies may not be the best idea... in fact, i don't do it myself and never would, but it was suggested before, and he was asking for ideas... myself, i always have my cell phone with me, so calling a buddy for help is never really an issue.

5. Zerkster

Zerkster New Member

key? What key? Then i gotta ask myself, 'what is a key?'
    Is that the ridged metal thing that we use to stick in the car to unlock and start it?

I'm terribly sorry for the humor my smog meter is lower then ever but my smug meter is highest then ever.

I simply keep my fob in my coin pocket underneith my thumb drive, like a family pet who knows you have that treat in your pocket and can't wait to find it, similarly my Prius anxiously sniffs out my fob and we are on the road again.

6. starling

starling New Member

My wife lost my other key somewhere. It's got to be in the house, because she couldn't have gotten home without it. But it's been MIA for about 5 months. I've been dreaming about building some electronic device that I would detect the SKS and alert me when the key was in proximity.

It's either that or I pick up the Prius and walk around the house with it until it beeps and the doors unlock. :p

Unfortunately, the Prius key makes the perfect cat toy, so it's probably been batted under the refrigerator or couch somewhere by a furry little paw.

7. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It's either that or I pick up the Prius and walk around the house with it until it beeps and the doors unlock. :p

I almost choked on my protein shake.. OMG that was soo funny... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I put one of those fobs on my key when you whistle it beeps, so no more lost keys :) .

8. Renocat

Renocat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Aug 29 2006, 06:16 AM) [snapback]311027[/snapback]</div>
    i can't whistle... :p