1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best source for replacement HID assembly?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Scotty Danger, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Scotty Danger

Scotty Danger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got an aftermarket HID setup (5000K), but I want to make sure that I have the factory HID assemblies (with auto leveling motor). I have been having trouble finding these online. Any recommendations for where to get the best price? I haven't seen any on ebay (only a few broken singles).

I was eyeing the aftermarket projector headlamp assemblies on ebay, but I think that I should have the auto leveling feature to be safe.

Thanks!

2. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't been able to find the HID headlight assemblies at all. Honestly, I find the auto-leveling motor to be aggravating. It does what it likes to do some days and then other days it just wont work. When it does work, it "levels" them so high that I light up entire two story houses.

How do you have an aftermarket HID setup? Do you have HIDs inside your old reflector style headlamps? Depending on how handy you are, you could try doing a projector retrofit in your existing (or a new set) of headlight assemblies.

3. Scotty Danger

Scotty Danger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the response. I bought an aftermarket 5000K kit from a website that was generally recommended on priuschat. Still, I've heard so many horror stories about HID lights in halogen housings that I'm hesitant.

I saw some DOT approved replacement headlights on ebay with the projector, and I believe that another forum member installed these and said that the stock projector is pretty decent. Still, I'm worried that the HID light will be too intense for other drivers.

4. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If its a projector and the HID bulb is the right fit, it will cut off at the right spot. There's no need to worry about glare then. Quality of the ebay projector may be a different story