1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best speaker upgrade for $200 ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by ystasino, May 17, 2007.

1. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm looking to upgrade the timid factory audio speakers on a limited budget. I guess I would need 2 pairs? No self-installation confidence here. Will the new speakers make a big difference in terms of performance?

Not looking to get an amplifier installed, I get the feeling it's an overkill.

Thanks

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    To start the discussion, I would like to suggest that a Kenwood SW1 subwoofer can be had in that price range. DIY install is not too difficult, but if that's not for you, than the price of installation would be - what? About $100?

None of the Prius stock speaker systems are much good below 60 Hz, and the ones that came in my 2001 are no exception. In my case it is under the driver's seat, and when overdriven provides an odd 'massage chair' effect.

3. beboyle

beboyle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ystasino @ May 16 2007, 09:34 PM) [snapback]443920[/snapback]</div>
    I think you'll find a wide spectrum of opinion on what makes the most difference. There are many here who feel that the most important addition is an amplifier. Others say that replacing at the tweeters is the most cost-effective first move. Personally I added the Kenwood SW1 subwoofer on the basis that the most obvious problem is the almost completely missing lower frequencies. That was a simple DIY job and made a big difference.

For my next upgrade I'm planning to replace the factory speakers - front with components so I get better tweeters and real crossovers, back with dual-range speakers. I've been taking my time, though, reading about other's experiences before I decide on specifics.

There's a lot of information in this forum about the various ways to upgrade, and some good walk throughs as well if you decide you want to do it yourself. It isn't that complicated, but replacing speakers does involve disassembling your doors and drilling out the existing mounting rivits.

Once I've replaced the speakers I'll decide whether I need to go on to adding an amp. I don't think I'll need more power, but I also understand from reading here and other audio forums that an amp can also add a lot of clarity.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you're on a budget, adding a subwoofer first would be the best thing IMO. I know several others here who have changed/upgraded their audio system agree that a subwoofer is a good first step.

This way, you can lower the bass on the stock system, reducing the "boominess" and letting the sub produce the deep bass.

A free upgrade is to unplug the centre speaker (if you have the JBL Audio system)

5. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm in the camp that says replace the front speakers first. The stock JBLs were so bad that I just stopped listening to the radio until I replaced them. Adding a sub is a big improvement too but the stock JBLs are just horrid. If you're used to listening to mediocre audio systems you might be more tolerant than me, but I'd rather listen to road and wind noise than the stock JBL speakers.

6. beboyle

beboyle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bruce Boyle @ Aug 19 2007, 11:35 AM) [snapback]498709[/snapback]</div>
    I did finally replace the speakers. I put components in the front and 2-ways in the back. It does make a huge difference.

7. davidtm

davidtm Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bruce,

How do the speakers sound being driven by the stock JBL amp?

DM

8. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Bruce,

What speakers did you put in?

PA P

9. Banjoman

Banjoman Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ystasino @ May 16 2007, 09:34 PM) [snapback]443920[/snapback]</div>
    I tried upgrading speakers as my first mod and discovered that the JBL amp couldn't drive them. The JBL speakers are quite a bit more efficient than "audiophile" types. I agree that a subwoofer is a good first move. You can get a small one with a self-contained amp for $100-150. Power it directly from the 12-volt battery in the right rear corner and connect it across the rear outputs of the JBL amp and you're ready to rock.

10. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(banjoman @ Nov 1 2007, 11:05 PM) [snapback]533740[/snapback]</div>
    I don't even recall what the JBL speakers sounded like, since I had stopped listening to the audio system long before I got around to upgrading it. But the problem with dropping in aftermarket speakers isn't solely due to their reduced efficiency. You can't go by the position of the volume knob to determine which speaker is more efficient. The volume knob basically is a control of the open circuit (no load) voltage output of the amplifier. Efficiency is expressed as db per watt (power). You don't know how much power the amp is putting out based on the position of the volume control, since the impedence of the load determines how much current is drawn, and power is voltage times current. A low impedence speaker draws more power from the amplifier at the same volume control position, so you can't state that a speaker is less efficient just because you have to turn the volume knob up to make its output as loud as another speaker.

The stock JBL speakers are lower impedence than many aftermarket speakers though, so they will draw more power at the same position of the volume knob. Some people may mistakenly interpret this as less efficiency, though it is also possible that the JBL amp simply can't generate a high enough voltage at its output terminals to deliver the same power to a high impedence speaker, meaning you ultimately can deliver more power to the JBL speakers than a higher impedence speaker.

Another problem with dropping in aftermarket speakers is the roller-coaster frequency response of the JBL amp. This may sound tolerable with the stock speakers, but often these built-in equalizations sound absolutely horrid with more accurate aftermarket speakers. I'm partway through an install in another vehicle with a factory Bose system, and when I put in Diamond Hex speakers, it sounded like absolute crap until I was able to bypass the Bose amp and drive the speakers with the flat signal coming out of the head unit rather than the heavily equalized signal coming out of the Bose amp.

If it's within your budget, I highly recommend adding equalization, amplification, and aftermarket speakers. I don't even need a subwoofer with my current front speakers. If you can only replace your speakers, you might want to look for something low impedence, like Infinity, in order to draw the most power out of the amp as the stock speakers do.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PA Prius @ Nov 1 2007, 06:37 PM) [snapback]533658[/snapback]</div>
    Read his sig.

11. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Nice write up on efficiency Priusenvy. Never thought of it that way, but it makes perfect sense.

For $200. I would purchase new front speakers and put sound deadening material in the front doors. The sound material will clean up the muddy bass quite a bit. "Second skin" is and excellent brand and much cheaper than "dynamat." Budget $150 for speakers and $50 for Second skin.

The front tweeters are so crappy, they need to be part of any upgrade. A subwoofer will make your stereo "feel" better, but without good tweeters, there will not be any clarity.

12. davidtm

davidtm Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Best speaker upgrade for $200 ?

I finally replaced my factory speakers with Boston Acoustics SX60's all around. There is a definite improvement in the high end with the tweeters; I'm actually wondering if they are too bright. The rest of the spectrum sounds less muddy and more clear and transparent, but I do have to turn up the JBL amp to around 30 - 35 for the same volume. This supports another post that aftermarket speakers sound less efficient. (BTW, the upper dash midrange retains its original volume, so it's a little more prominent than before.) I thought this "loss of efficiency" would be a slight advantage, as Tom Morrow's document - Prius JBL Audio system response, specs, and photos - points out that the oddball equalization is a tad damped at higher volume settings.

Overall, a significant improvement, but at some significant cost ($500 for both speakers + $170 installation @ Crutchfield). I'm still deciding if it's fine, or if I will spring for equalization and another amp on the output side of the JBL.