1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best tank ever?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by hdrygas, Apr 6, 2005.

1. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I may have had my best tank ever, 57.348 (calculated) This is the story. We had a warm snap 2 weeks or so ago. Temps into the 60's even. At the end of that the weather turned and it got cold and was raining so I filled up a different pump that I usually do. I also filled the tank early at 416 tank mi because I was going on a trip the next day and wanted to buy gas locally at a known lower price. I had 53.1 mpg on the computer and had been driving a new rout too and from work that had the mpg climbing during the second half of the tank. It was in the high 30's when I filled blowing and raining sideways. The pump was one of those hard ones and I had to baby every gallon in and I put just over 7 gallons in and that was it. I did not spill but I could not get more in. I would have expected about 8 gallons. So I get the "best tank" and I figured I short filled the tank and the next one would be low but it was not. Despite bad cold weather I got 53.057 mpg, and the gage was normal no early dropping from "full" as I expected. That fill was usual at my regular pump that plays nice with my car. The second fill was also short miles 348 on the tank because I was going on a longish trip and did not want to hunt for a station in Seattle where I do not know the area and prices. So is this my new best or not.

2. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Here is a follow up my last tank that I drove to the last bar was a 8.955 gal fill with a calculated mpg of 45.226 mpg my second worse tank. The computer said 51.3 which seems more intuitive as there was a longish drive on the freeway and I have been driving very carefully. Am I having seeing difficulty with the bladder that is throwing off the calculated mpg from the pump. At least one of these I thought was a short fill because I was having terrible problems with the pump shut off. I will never use that pump again. Any ideas? This is not making a lot of sense to me. Maybe the only number I can trust is the lifetime average?

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My best tank on record is 50.5MPG.

for now...

The tank I'm currently working on is hovering around 53.0MPG and I'm doing all I can to make sure it finishes above 53. That will be my best tank to date.

4. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just got it last week. Local driving around at Jekyll Island, Ga. 54 mpg!!!!

5. Isabelle

Isabelle New Member

I actually haven't kept track historically (wish I had), but I think the current tank may be the best. In the first "real" spring week late March and early April, we came in at 49.99. The current tank, reflecting a week of some gorgeous weather in the 60s (but still 39-40 in the morning), we are currently running at 54.0 after 400 miles. I think when the morning temperature breaks consistently above 40, something around or above 55 is certainly doable, even here in New England.

6. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    Right now baby! Temps are up, odometer miles up, and mileage UP! Showing 51.8 @ 400 miles on current tank.

http://www.w8kc.com/priusmileage.htm

You guys that wished you tracked your mileage from the start may as well start now!

7. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i have tracked every drop of gas ive used and ive come to the conclusion that the MFD numbers are about as accurate as you can get.