1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

best tire width for wet roads

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Grdn2, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Grdn2

Grdn2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello, y'all. This is my first time posting and I hope I'm in the right place. I live in Florida and need to replace my OEM tires. I was looking at the Michelin Hydroedge due to the daily rains here during our rainy season. My confusion is that I was going to upgrade to a little wider tire (195/60R15) thinking it would give me better traction on wet roads. I was told that a narrower tire would actually give me better traction under wet conditions. I have done many searchs and have not found where this has been addressed. I understand that a wider tire would give better traction on dry roads, but does it have the opposite effect on wet roads?

Thanks for your guidance. :)

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    All other factors being equal, a narrow tire will have less tendency to hydroplane on wet roads. There differences between static friction, dynamic friction, and the tendency to hydroplane. When most people talk about wet performance of a tire, they are thinking about hydroplaning. To avoid hydroplaning, a tire has to push water out of the way without lifting off of the road surface. A narrow tire has less planing surface and a higher loading, so it is less likely to lift.

Tom

3. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Oct 25 2007, 03:01 PM) [snapback]530382[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Tom,

I agree with you re greater likelihood of hydroplaning on wider tires (I think back to the only times I've ever seriously hydroplaned in my life, they were when driving sports cars with very wide tires).

I was wondering what you thought about narrower versus wider tires for (1) wet braking, and (2) wet driving traction short of hydroplaning conditions (if that makes sense)?

Thanks in advance.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boo @ Oct 25 2007, 03:31 PM) [snapback]530397[/snapback]</div>
    These are tougher questions, as friction is a slippery topic (sorry for the pun; well, I'm not really sorry, or I wouldn't have used it in the first place.) Let's look at some of the factors involved with tire traction:

1) If we were dealing with ideal materials, the width of the tire would be irrelevant in relation to traction. The reason for this is simple: If we have a wider tire, then the tire has more surface in contact with the road, which would make you think it should grip better. On the other hand, the pressure (psi) pushing the contact surface onto the road is reduced, since the car weighs the same but you have a larger contact area. In the ideal case, these two factors cancel each other.

2) In the real world, contact surface has an effect. One is surface loading. A larger tire will have less pounds per square inch (psi), which is good if you are running a dune buggy over sand, but bad if you are trying to dig down through snow and slush, or push water out of the way.

Another factor is surface deformation. Too much force and you will burn rubber, or peal away the road surface. A larger tire spreads the force over a greater area. This is the reason race cars and dragsters use large slick tires. It is also the reason race cars and dragsters don't do well in rain. Racers are willing to burn away a fair amount of tire for an increase in traction. This is done at the expense of tire life.

3) Looking at 1 and 2 above, what we have are two incompatible forces driving our tire choice. No one tire or tire width is best for all conditions, which should be obvious when we look at the variety of tires available for ordinary cars.

So what's the answer to your question about wet tire performance? There is no one hard and fast truth, but we can narrow it down a bit. If we stipulate, as you did, that we are not dealing with hydroplaning conditions, then wider tires should allow more ultimate traction for driving and braking, due to their ability to spread the forces over a larger area. However, there is the very real possibility that the higher forces on a narrow tire would better dry the contact area and therefore provide more driving and braking traction. I believe there are too many variables to allow for one solid answer.

Tom

5. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Tom (qbee42)!!!

I really appreciate your taking the time to explain this, and explaining it so well.

-- Tom (Boo)

6. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boo @ Oct 25 2007, 04:02 PM) [snapback]530479[/snapback]</div>
    You might try spending some time on tirerack.com. They have good articles on tire tests in wet conditions. Here is one:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=60

7. Grdn2

Grdn2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, everyone, for your prompt responses and great information. I guess the extra 1/4" won't make much difference one way or the other. I was willing to pay the extra couple bucks for improved control, but I guess I'll just stay with the 185/65 unless someone can give me a good reason not to.

Thanks, again.

8. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Karen,
    If I were you (living in a rainny area), I would focus more on the block pattern of the tire I choose than the width.
    tirerack.com is the resource you may use to choose the best tire to fit your need. There are also user survey and
    review on any specific tire. I usually choose the top 5 in rating and pick the lowest price among the 5.
    If you choose the OEM size, Costco might have the best deal since they mount them for you (and with $60 off now).
    If you change to a different size, try tirerack.com or discount tire for best deals.
    I live in CA, I am going for 205/60R15 high-performance all-season, when the time comes.

9. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Grdn2 @ Oct 26 2007, 01:02 PM) [snapback]530748[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Karen,

Yes I don't think the extra 1/4" (10 mm) will make much difference.

That said, here are some reasons (whether they're good, I don't know) for going with the 195 over the 185 size:

* Generally slightly better handling and braking.

* Slightly better looks - the 195s seem more proportionate to the size of the Prius. (Note that 185 is the narrowest width offered by Michelin for the Hydro Edges.)

* 195 is the standard width for the Touring Edition, and the standard width tire for the Prius sold in much of the rest of the world. Some here have argued that the Prius was made for the 195 size.

* I think there are a lot of PriusChatters who are very satisfied with their 195 size Hydro Edges or Goodyear TripleTreds (very similar tire), and report that their wider HEs or TTs "stick like glue" in the rain.

I wish there was a publicly available tire test of the Prius comparing the 3 widths commonly used by Prius owners -- 185, 195 & 205 mm.

10. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    A big factor in wet-weather performance is how fast the tire can evacuate water underneath it. That's what a wet-weather tread design is optimized for - getting the water out from under the tire and out to the sides as quickly as possible. All other things equal, the shorter the distance the water has to travel, the faster it can evacuate water, so a narrower tire should have a slight advantage (shorter distance from center of tire to the side). However, I think it's a safe assumption that tread design has a much greater effect on how well water is evacuated, so that extra 5mm of distance (half of the 1cm difference in tread width) probably isn't going to make a difference. Choosing the tire with the best tread pattern and compound for wet weather grip will make much more of a difference.

11. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Let me make this simple: I have Hydroedge's in the OEM size and they stick like glue in the rain, and work well in the snow, and reasonably on ice.

Nate

12. Grdn2

Grdn2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, again, everyone. Y'all are the best! You have given me much to think about.

13. RedTeam

RedTeam New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Grdn2 @ Oct 25 2007, 02:20 PM) [snapback]530359[/snapback]</div>
    Think of it this way. Narrow on dry,snow and water...wide off road & Mud. You'll love the Hydro-Edges.

HarryB

14. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I put the 195/60 R15 Hydroedges on my Prius, and I love them.
    I live in an area that has rain that can be described as "driving through a car wash"... or worse.
    The Hydroedges are the best. The little bit extra width just helps the car feel a tad more stable. That's subjective, but it's my subjective :)