1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best tires and best pressure

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Ronald56, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Ronald56

Ronald56 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I swithched my OEM Goodyears to the Comfort Treads (got full value for the OEMs) the same day I picked up the car last Saturday. A lot of people on Priuschat said that the Comfort Treads was a very good choice as an upgrade. In any event, I can't remember what was the best tire pressure to put in the tires for mpg recognizing I still want a comfortable ride.

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Try 42 psi in the front tires and 40 psi in the rear tires. This is the pressure that many PC members use. If the car feels too bouncy, drop to 40/38. Keep lowering until you are comfortable or hit the Toyota recommended pressure. Keep a 2 psi differential in the front to compensate for the weight of the HSD.

Search on Tire Pressure for endless discussion...

3. GKarschnick

GKarschnick New Member

I put Comfortreds on my prius and immediately took a 5 mpg hit. I also researched most of the posts on Prius Chat and found that most of those who switched to the comfortreds were happy about the ride, but disappointed in the mpg loss. I took my comfortreds back (within the 30 day window) and switched to regatta 2's. The mpg now is similar to the original integrities and the ride and noise are similar to the comfortred. BTW the regatta 2 is the same tire that is carried by Walmart as the Viva 2 (a LRR tire). I still think my best choice would have been the Michelin MR4V, but the Goodyear dealer wouldn't switch brands once I had bought the Comfortreds.

4. anj48

anj48 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ronald56 @ Jul 19 2007, 12:32 AM) [snapback]481405[/snapback]</div>
    I replaced with this same tire, noticed a dramatic improvement in handling from my misaligned car and worn Integrity's. I also realized the often reported reduced mileage with this tire. But, now with 17K on the ComforTred's I'm seeing something interesting - mileage on secondary roads (under 50 mph) seems about the same as with the Integrity's (52-54 mpg MFD), but highway mileage seems to have slipped by about 5 mpg (TP = 38/36).

I wonder if anyone else has noticed greater mileage loss during high speed driving with ComforTred's?

5. cbs4

cbs4 Member

I read in another thread that some people are running Goodyear "TripleTreads" instead of "ComfortTreads"... (sorry I've misspelled the respective trade names, but they are at least phonetically correct.)

I wonder if the TTs have the same mileage penalty that the CTs have? Since the TT's are also Goodyear, the tire dealer can work with this.

Hopefully, someone with TT's will weigh in and report what fuel economy has been with these tires.

I'm still running the original Integritys. 64,000 miles and counting.

6. Ronald56

Ronald56 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This is rally wierd. All the stuff I read prior to me getting my car and doing the switch to the Comfortreads showed no real loss in mpg. Now that I have them on the car, several people are mentioning a 5 mpg loss. Is that really true? What is the Regatta 2, never heard of it?