1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best Tires for Seattle Winter ☔️ ❄️

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Erin Cisewski, Dec 21, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Erin Cisewski

Erin Cisewski New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hello!!
    I live in Seattle where it’s often rainy. I want to drive out to the snowy parks on the weekends for skiing/snowshoeing. Any advice for best tires when going from rainy city driving to occasional snowy/icy roads? ❄️ ⛄️

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

Best to use studded tires, as I've had limited traction issues when using 'quality' all season tires in no snow and light freezing conditions.

FYI : you're moderated until you've posted 5 times.

Erin Cisewski likes this.
  3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    WSDOT would prefer that you don't use studded tires. They don't avoid chain requirements. People driving primarily in the wet Seattle lowlands, and only occasionally heading up Snoqualmie / Stevens / White Passes or Mt. Baker, don't need them and would do better all-around without studs. Leave the studs to people in colder interior climate zones with less rain and a lot more ice.

Don't confuse All-Season tires with true snow or winter tires. All-Seasons are a half-measure when new, and it isn't long until they wear down to just 3-Season tires. Though very many Seattle skiers do get by well enough with them.

Many people love various Nokian models. I've had good experience with Michelin X-Ice. Though the latest on my other vehicle (AWD) are Bridgestone Blizzaks, chosen because they were available at the time, and have done well so far (I haven't used them very much yet). Other folks can chime in with more choices.

https://wstc.wa.gov/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Studded-Tire-Fact-Sheet.pdf
    "Washington State Transportation Commission
    Studded Tire Fact Sheet
    RECOMMENDATION: Phase Out Studded Tires
    The Commission recommends the Legislature prohibit the sale of studded tires and phase out
    their use within five years after they are no longer sold. As an alternative, the studded tire fee
    could be increased to an amount that will produce the revenue needed to fund repairs to the
    damage they cause
    "

Early prep, correct gear and staying informed are key for smooth travel this winter | WSDOT
    "Studded tires
    By law, studded tires are only legal for use in Washington state from Nov. 1 through March 31. This applies to all vehicles in Washington, even those traveling from other states, and no personal exemptions or waivers exist to allow for earlier use of studded tires.

WSDOT estimates studded tires cause between $20 million and $29 million in pavement damage to state-owned roadways (asphalt and concrete roadway damage combined) each year. WSDOT encourages motorists to visit a tire dealer to learn more about their winter tire options, including stud-free, winter tread traction tires. This type of tire is different than an all-season tire, is legal year-round and does not cause the same roadway damage as studded tires. More information about studded-tire restrictions and requirements can be found in the FAQ on the WSP website."

Tires & chains

The later two links above also point to approved alternative traction devices for vehicles that cannot accommodate chains.

#3 fuzzy1, Dec 22, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
    Erin Cisewski and SFO like this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd second Michelin X-Ice (not studded), perfect for coastal mixed-bag conditions. I'm just up the road from you, in Vancouver, BC,, have our on our (low-mileage) 2010 for the eleventh year now, on Corolla steel rims. Cover the hub openings with 2" abs end caps, looks semi-presentable and keeps the hubs from getting rusty.

5. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How many years do the x radials last?

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you asking about that X-Ice model or snow tires in general? Or about some other radial tires? I'll address only the former.

Winter tire life is normally defined by remaining tread depth, unless you drive them very few miles per winter. 4/32" is the legal minimum in my state as 'winter traction tires' when mountain highways are so posted, which varies by the hour. Neighboring British Columbia has a legal minimum of 4.4/32" (or 3.5 mm) on its mountain highways all winter long. Many of us become unhappy with actual performance before reaching these legal minimums, so end up replacing them earlier than required. Some other Canadian provinces recommend 6/32" at the start of winter.

If you don't want to waste the remaining tread, you can still run them outside of winter season, though they won't feel the same as regular (All-Season) tires. The soft rubber will also wear down faster in warmer weather.

"How many years" will vary strongly with individual use. My Prius doesn't go on long trips in winter, so its winter tires last longer than its summer (A/S) tires. My Subaru is the opposite, getting the bulk of its miles in winter, so its snow tires get replaced much more frequently.

#6 fuzzy1, Dec 22, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
    Erin Cisewski and Mendel Leisk like this.
  7. Tahsin Shamma

Tahsin Shamma New Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I'm getting the Bridgestone Blizzak based on Consumer Reports.

8. Erin Cisewski

Erin Cisewski New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    So helpful! Thanks everyone! Safe driving and happy winter to you❄️

9. Tahsin Shamma

Tahsin Shamma New Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Just a quick follow up. Got the winter tires today. Definitely more grip but we'll see for sure when we get our next snow or ice.

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    They don’t work miracles, but they help. I saw the traction light kick in, yesterday morning, climbing up-and-over an icy hump from a stop. You still need to take it real easy. And if the snow is deep enough, you’re still screwed, due to low ground clearance.