1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best tires?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by prius90, Aug 19, 2009.

1. prius90

prius90 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I read on here that either Goodyear Comfortreds or Tripletreads were best..Anyone want to weigh in on this and does it matter if you get tires from dealer or Walmart. I tend to think of my Prius '05 as 'special' requiring people trained in the Prius. Who should align it?

2. danl

danl New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I've read some good testimonials here and online about the Michelin Energy Savers. I myself would probably just get the Hydro Edge when I need to change my tires.

3. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It depends on what you want, or what you mean by "best." Fuel economy? Handling (wet and dry)? Tread life? Noise? Ride comfort? There are tradeoffs. For example, few tires can top the OEM Integritys for fuel economy, but tread life is fair, at best. I replaced those with Hyrdoedges, which handle significantly better and will last considerably longer, but with a small fuel economy hit and increased road noise.

I suggest first deciding what your priorities are, then continue with your research to get a good sense of which tire best meets them. Consider other sources too, such as Consumer Reports' tire review.

4. priusincc

priusincc Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The tire thing has been beat to death. You could spend hours reviewing threads. JimboK is right, you have to decide what your priorities are. My OEM's are getting low after 23K, and I have been considering which brand to buy.
    The first step was size; I decided to go with the 195/60R/15. I had it narrowed down to the Nokian WR's, but they are a little difficult to get at a decent price. I am now leaning toward the Michelin Energy Savers, first hoping to get a little more feedback since they are relatively new on the market.

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Rumor has it that Goodyear Assurance FuelMax allows MPGs as good as the integrities with less noise and better grip. Next time round I'll try them.