1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best Travel Mug - suggestions anyone?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by don_chuwish, Dec 15, 2010.

1. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Perhaps this isn't Prius specific but we're on the hunt for the perfect travel mug. Isn't everyone?
    Basic requirements: insulated, doesn't leak on your shirt when you try to drink, cleans up easily in dishwasher, not ugly.
    What I've found on even the best reviewed products is that there are enough bad reviews regarding cleanup (bad smells, taste, developing over time) or leaking to put me off.
    So does anyone have a favorite to share?

Thanks!

- D

2. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The only suggestion I have is to get a travel mug that has a double-walled, vacuum insulated seal like a thermos. These will keep your hot drinks hot longer. They're really thermoses with a sipper top. The one I have is from Starbucks, but it's no longer available. Quickly checking out what's available on Amazon, these three look promising to me:

Contigo:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B000QFDNP8?tag=priuschatcom-20Thermos:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B002PY7AYS?tag=priuschatcom-20Bodum:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B0026L7DTW?tag=priuschatcom-20

1 person likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we've tried a lot of mugs over the years. best we've found is the starbucks stainless steel snap flip top. keeps it hot for hours, you can drop it with the flap snapped shut and it doesn't leak when you drink. it's easy to sip from as well and fits in most cupholders. all the best!:)

2 people like this.
  4. don_chuwish

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks, yes the Contigo had me for a while, until I read some of the less favorable reviews. Seems a real problem to keep the lid clean. The Thermos has complaints about the exterior coating failing, leaks, lid cleaning. Bodum leaky even more so, exterior grip failures, not very well unsulated.
    I know I know, every product has it's inevitable bad reviews but I'm looking for something clearly better than what we already use - going to be a gift after all.
    I think I have to stop the online hunt and go look at some in person. In the meantime, if anyone thinks they have the perfect mug please share!

- D

5. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like we may have the same Starbucks mug. I got it for Christmas years ago. I think it's great. Too bad they don't sell it anymore. But I'm wondering if the one they sell now is just as good? (Online, they don't say that it's vacuum sealed ... but judging from the price and the reviews about how long it keeps drinks hot, I think it is.) Anyways, here's what they're selling now:

Starbucks (STARBUCKS)<sup>RED</sup> Stainless Steel Tumbler at StarbucksStore.com

6. don_chuwish

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey thanks! Sitting in a Starbucks right now, checked out the mug and will give it a go. It says &quot;double walled&quot; but not specifically &quot;vacuum&quot;. Hard to resist getting myself one...

- D

7. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Don -- Let us know how the new Starbucks mug works out.

Reading the reviews, it seems to be a vacuum thermos that will keep your drinks hot (or cold) for a long time. But it definitely doesn't have the same flip top as the older one that Bisco and I have. Instead it has some sorta turn/twist top that a few reviewers said took some getting used to (and one reviewer dismissed the new top altogether and gave the mug only two stars because of it).

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    huh, i didn't realize they didn't make them anymore. too bad, i guess we've had ours quite a few years now. our's are vase shaped, where the new one is smaller in the middle. hope it works well for you!:)

9. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We've tried a lot of them. The Contigo mug, which we bought at Costco, works very well for us.

I've never had a Starbucks mug that didn't start leaking all over me eventually.

10. Ryanpl

Ryanpl Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I use my Contigo cup all the time. keeps coffee nice and hot and has a real tight seal. i find denture cleaner once a week takes care of the cleaning problem.

11. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    1 person likes this.
  12. don_chuwish

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    heheh, I like they're "why you drink" copy. Great site.

- D

13. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  14. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I find a Champagne flute helps me in my travels!!:D

1 person likes this.
  15. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We bought new "travel" mugs yesterday. Well, actually, they are double-walled ceramic cups with silicone lids and sleeves. Cute... they look like paper cups, but aren't!http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/images?tag=priuschatcom-20 and we bought them at Costco, so they were only $10 for the set of three. :thumb:

16. DeanMac

DeanMac New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    stainless thermos works good for me

17. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Get the Nissan stainless one. Problem solved.

18. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I drink out of a hollowed out, silver plated skull.

It's hard to use, and has very limited thermal retention capabilities BUT very few people that notice, cut me off in traffic.

19. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know, I'm getting old rapidly..maybe grumpy...but I remember when things were simply what they were...

Phones were...phones....
    Camera's were camera's...
    Organizers were organizers...

I'm getting tired of this technology trend of multi-purpose products that most often end up being mediocre or bad at all the things they try to be....like a cheap swiss army knife....

No offense...but if you want a Travel Mug....buy a good travel mug. You want a digital photo holder? Buy a digital photo holder...is it REALLY necessary to combine the two? Into one scalding hot memory holder?

Do you really want to go to work and tell "Bob" hey come over hear and smell my Mint Mocha Expresso...and look at last weekends trip to the coast?

Personal Grumpy Old Man Rant Ended...

To each his own....

20. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well, I have one from Green Mountain Coffee that keeps the coffee piping hot even after 30 minutes (usually i'm drinking it and leave it open to vent and cool off at that point). It won't be spill resistant from the top where you drink from, necessarily, but I'm yet to have it start to leak on me from the seal on top where the lid & cup meet. It's a stainless steel, insulated mug. It wasn't too expensive either.