1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best Value Cars

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by GantryG, Jan 15, 2012.

1. GantryG

GantryG New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If people ask if the Prius is really a good deal, have them check out this Consumer Reports article on the best value cars in the US. The Prius Four is #2 after two tested Honda Fit models. They did not test the Prius Two, so it is not listed. Based on the math, it looks like the Prius Two would be #1 if they had tested it, since it costs thousands of dollars less.

New car values: Best and worst
    (No registration required).

2. Sabby

Sabby Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Prius would have also done well in the Family sedan category

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    these lists never make any sense. you can arrange them by any criteria you like.

4. GantryG

GantryG New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The basic formula on the Consumer Reports value ranking is what the car would cost you if you bought it new and sold it after five years, and they adjust for how highly they ranked the car in general.

The Prius Two rules in value for the money because it is well-priced, very reliable, has good practicality (five passenger, hatchback, etc.), has good safety, has good resale value, and gets the best gas mileage possible.

:)

5. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The resale value is always the deciding factor.

6. Bodgerx

Bodgerx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...and also should have been in that category, given its size and available interior space.

7. Insight-I Owner

Insight-I Owner 2006 Insight-I MT + 2011 Prius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    +1. This idiocy just reminds me why I stopped subscribing to Consumer Reports 5 years ago, after being a subscriber for years.

1 person likes this.
  8. Daddy Dave

Daddy Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a spreadsheet that I've used for quite a while that calculates and ranks vehicles based on expected lifetime, cost, insurance, mpg, maintenance, etc. Cheaper initial cost almost always wins the prize. A 2010 5sp Honda Civic base model was significantly cheaper to own than the Prius I bought because it was $7000 less.

9. ToSeek

ToSeek New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It would be nice if they had an adjustable online spreadsheet where you could adjust the factors for your own preferences, but even for subscribers (I'm one) they don't do that.

They do have more detail for subscribers: The Honda Fit's cost per mile is $0.44 versus the Prius's $0.47, but the Prius gets the better road test score, 80 versus 76. Both get the highest reliability rating.

10. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The elephant in the room in this kind of analysis is the resale value, and there is just too much variation in that number to let the final result be in anyway meaningful.

2 Fas recently sold his 450k mile, base G2 Prius for $5k. Over the close to 3 years of ownership he paid about 5 cents/mile for fuel. The capitalization cost ignoring interest was about 1600/450 = 3.5 cents a mile, for a grand total of considerably less than 10 cents a mile. Not THAT is awesome TCO, that no one could have guessed from CR's way of accounting costs.

11. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The elephant in the room in this kind of analysis is the resale value, and there is just too much variation in that number to let the final result be in anyway meaningful.

2 Fas recently sold his 450k mile, base G2 Prius for $5k. Over the close to 3 years of ownership he paid about 5 cents/mile for fuel. The capitalization cost ignoring interest was about 1600/450 = 3.5 cents a mile, for a grand total TCO of about 10-11 cents a mile. Now THAT is awesome TCO, that no one could have guessed from CR's way of accounting costs.

I'll be the first to grant that 2Fas is an outlier, but CR overestimated his costs by 300% ;)
    I do not have any problem with CR's accounting methods btw, since they are transparent. Readership who do not understand though that the number is a huge YMMV are not getting their moneys worth.

12. hlunde

hlunde Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    An available template for making your own spreadsheet is on edmunds.com

It's under their TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) tab.

13. hlunde

hlunde Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This will always be the case as long as US gasoline is underpriced, as least in comparison to most worldwide pricing. Since you already have this spreadsheet, an interesting figure to post here would be the gasoline price that makes the Prius and Civic operating costs equivalent.