1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best way to add Auxiliary input to 2004 jbl changer/cassette stereo

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by DC_2004_Prius, Jul 11, 2016.

1. DC_2004_Prius

DC_2004_Prius Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I posted on an old thread about a stuck cd in the premium jbl cd changer for my 2004 prius. Sorry/thanks.

We have the 2004 with premium jbl 6cd changer, and I want to add an Aux headphone jack/plug for our ipods and phone/music players. Anybody have success with any aftermarket units that will work with the jbl 6cd factory changer - and just 'plug and play'? A simple headphone mini plug would be fine - but something that lets us control it with the touch screen and see artist/track info would be a bonus.

I have the 2004 jbl premium cd changer w/cassette - jbl model 56838 Toyota # 86120-47100
    Maybe I could swap it with the 2005 jbl changer model - # 51825 Toyota # 86120-47210 ?
    Or is there a jbl compatible single cd - that lets me add one of the aftermarket AUX kits?

I have an open 6 pin over 6 pin connector on the back of my jbl 56838 but when i plugged in an aftermarket aux connector to that port it did not power up or get recognized (was supposed to come up as a second changer). -

I wonder is there some unlock/permission/programming required to activate that 6/6pin port for an external changer/aux input?

Thanks for any help.

pics of our cd changer/stereo front/back attached...

Attached Files:

2. hnational

hnational Junior Member

I'm going through this right now. Exact same specs. Any suggestions on how to get this work?

3. dennisuello

dennisuello Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Also interested in a solution. I have an 05, with the same JBL headhunt.

4. russlan44

russlan44 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    sorry for bumping old thread, in similar boat, 04 navi jbl with tape player, tape played doesn't work so can't use cassette with aux cord, don't listen or have any cd's would love to add aux. Guys what are my options. Im not a sound guy just want aux to listen to some tunes from phone/ipod.

Buy a newer model oem head unit with aux? does it have to be JBL? does it have to be with Navi? do i have to look for particular model #?
    Buy an aftermarket head unit and do a stealth mode?

5. Ajourney101

Ajourney101 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
  6. Ajourney101

Ajourney101 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II