1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best way to check tire pressure and inflate tires?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Zanrok, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Zanrok

Zanrok Casual Prius Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I did find an old thread on the subject. But I am curious what 6 years has changed. What is the best and most cost effective way to not only check your tire pressure but inflate them?

I have looked at few digital gauges and portable inflaters, but I am curious as to what you guys use. And I am sort of a newbie to this whole process, didn't really care about the tire pressure on the grand am.

Any suggestions, help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks as always!

2. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I check mine twice a month in my garage when the tires are cold. I use a guage with a short hose and analog readout with a reset-to-zero button. I think it cost in the $10-12 range, but that was a few years ago. I had a RadioShack digital model, but the main non-replaceable battery gave up the ghost.
    I also have an airtank (about $25 at Walmart, I think) that I fill at Costco or a service station as needed. The battery inflators work, but in my opinion rather slowly. By checking mine often, very little air is needed to keep them at 42/40 psi. Don't forget to check the spare occasionally as well.

3. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Get a decent quality analogue gauge. Check pressures when car's sat a good while, preferably overnight. Drive to your nearest convenient gas station and top them up as needed.

If the station's within a mile or two, there shouldn't be much change in pressure going that distance. Maybe just verify the first time. If pressures have risen a bit, overinflate accordingly and check/adjust the next morning at home.

Regarding gauges: I have picked up a digital gauge, and I have 2~3 analogue gauges, the stick kind. They all read about the same. The analogue ones are just easier: you don't start chasing 1/10's of a psi. Last forever too.

In lower mainland BC, Canada, at least: Chevron still has free air.

5. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Most cost effective to check: Buy that $1.99 analog tire pressure gauge and check them yourself :)

To fill them: This is one instance I would say find a cheap air compressor and grab it. Harbor Freight Tools has these, and I'm sure Walmart does too. If you have a gas station that offers free air and is close to home, that's a good option.

6. milkman44

milkman44 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've had a couple of cheap inflators with gauge and both quit working so with the Prius, I want to keep a close watch on TP so found this Snap ON, $20 and free shipping. Now I just have to convince the wife to use it religiously.:thumb:

7. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    TP?

8. milkman44

milkman44 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That could be toilet paper or it might be tire pressure, either way the wife needs to keep a close check.:eek:

9. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    After procuring a dependable air gauge stop by a tire retailer and have them fill your tires with nitrogen, once every four years...

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A floor-style bicycle pump is cheap and quite adequate for maintaining tire pressure.

While I have a tiny 12V compressor, re-stowing the cord in its small storage space is more work than just hand pumping with the bike pump.

11. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    For those gas stations that charge for air, there may be a button underneath the unit that, if pressed twice, let's you fill up for free.

...The More You Know...