1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best way to fix Alignment

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dominicsavio, Dec 31, 2008.

1. dominicsavio

dominicsavio New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My steering wheel is not straight (tilted to the right) and I am thinking - this could be an alignment issue? The only way to check this is if you drive the car on a *perfectly straight and perfectly flat* road and I dont think our highways lend to this (they are slightly sloped)

1) Is it best to go to a toyota dealer? I read many threads here about horror stories with toyota dealer services

2) Anyone have the 'ideal' specs/info which I should keep in mind when I take the car in?

I'm in the SE Pennsylvania region...

2. Rainman901

Rainman901 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Funny you mention this. I just took mine in today and had the same thing fixed. Fortunately my dealer handled the fix well, since
    my steering wheel is centered and the car tracks nicely.

I had actually resolved to live with it since it was only off a few degrees instead of going to the dealer. This being for the same reasons you are hesitant. However, when I changed my oil I felt the outside of my passenger side front tire and it had begun to scallop a bit. Not something that I would expect from these hard tires at 1800 miles! So I bit the bullet and took it in.

Good Luck,
    Ray

BTW, First Post, Hello everyone.

3. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think your steering wheel isn't centered. Perhaps this will be covered under the 3 year warranty?

4. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've heard of bad and good stories on this.

the bad is that most independent places may not be able to fix this.

the good is... every Toyota dealer so far has been able to fix this problem.

I have similar problems... the independent place somehow didn't notice my wheel being off.... ( two visits )

5. dominicsavio

dominicsavio New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Is the 'steering wheel off' the same as the car being 'out of alignment'

OR
    could you have the steering wheel off and still have the car IN alignment?

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Front:
    - Total toe-in: 0° ± 12’ (0° ± 0.2°)

- Camber: 0° 35’ ± 45’ (0.58° ± 0.75°)
    Right-Left Error: 45’ (0.75°) or less

Rear:
    - Total toe-in: 0° 18’ ± 15’ (0.30° ± 0.25°)

- Camber: -1° 30’ ± 30’ (-1.50° ± 0.5°)
    Right-Left Error: 30’ (0.5°) or less

7. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Not necessarily, but it is an indication that the alignment could be out. Alignment refers to the actual position(s) of the individual wheels compared to the theoretical correct positions.

Yes, it is possible for the wheels to be within spec and have the steering wheel off somewhat.

The PDS (pre-delivery service) has a step where the dealer tech is supposed to check for this (and correct if necessary) before delivering a new Prius to the customer.

Slightly off-topic:

As an example, my GF bought a motorhome built on a Ford F-53 chassis (Class A motorhome). Apparently they built many of these with the steering wheel tilted about 10° to the right when the MH is tracking straight down the road. It is a common enough problem that it is documented in a TSB. The wheel alignment is within spec, but the steering wheel is off.

8. dominicsavio

dominicsavio New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks a ton - patrick and dogfriend and all.

So whats the best way to tell if my alignment is off (without taking it to the dealer just yet) or do I have to take it in and have them look at it (my steering wheel is a bit tilted to the right so alignment could be suspect)?

By taking it to the dealer, even for a diagnostic, means standing a risk of having them perform/charge for aligning that may not have been needed in the 1st place (I've been though this before with dealers)?

9. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You can look at the tires to see if you have uneven wear, but to actually know what the alignment values are, you need to have a shop check it.

10. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Any alignment shop can check the physical alignment of the wheels, and for centering of the steering wheel.

Some shops tend to align the styeering wheel to the dash, which is NOT level or perpendicular to the longitudinal axis of the car. You want the steering wheel level with the horizon, not the dash, on a level road (no crown).

See this threa dfor my experiences related to wandering and braking instaiblity after letting a tire shop align it during the previuos 80K miles. I ended up at the dealer in need of a bunch of settings only they can set, cost me about $250.

http://priuschat.com/forums/care-maintenance-troubleshooting/56929-solution-wandering-freeway.html

11. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    ive scored a free alignment, from the secret alignment warranty.

because the way they load prius cars on the boat, there is a supposedly a free alignment that toyota offers, and toyota does not go out of their way to inform us

do not know how long the warranty for it is

12. dominicsavio

dominicsavio New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I would rather go to a toyota dealer but I've scored a free alignment coupon from another (non-toyota) dealer. I asked around to see if I should insist on getting this checked at the toyota dealer and was told that 'an alignment is an alignment' - does not matter where you get it done.

So I'm thinking of giving my car to this 'other' dealer - to have my steering wheel/alignment fixed.

My issue is, like I said, the steering wheel is off-center (to the right). And while driving, I notice I am steering much more to the right than otherwise. I dont see the car drifitng on an even road though. So I'm wondering if the alignment is OK but the steering wheel needs to be centered?

13. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

I went to "regular" shops and eventually all that steering wheel straightening threw off several sensors related to the VSC and power steering systems, requiring a complete realignment at the dealer and sensor resetting costing $250. It had been wandering and acting unpredictably on heavy braking. Dealer fixed everything.

I would recommend alternating between dealer and non-dealer as a compromise.

14. CharlesJ

CharlesJ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It seems that the Prius needs more than just a regular alignment since there are those sensors involved in the process.
    This car is not an ordinary car, it it a computer controlled car:D Best to bite the bullet and visit the dealer.

15. phatty123

phatty123 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Prius doesn't need anything special beyond what most modern cars need. An alignment is an alignment as long as its done properly. All within spec steering wheel center car will drive fine. Almost every card need a steering angle sensor reset after an alignment especially if the wheel was off center previously. On every car we do a test drive after alignment and make multiple turns to verify ABS and TCS are working correctly and usually do a steering angle reset if needed. In fact we get techs from other shops stopping by for us to recalibrate sensors frequently because they don't have the OEM scan tools.

Sorry to kinda blow up on my very first post i've been reading a while and just signed up today because it seems like the people on these forums are totally convinced that there are things that can only be done at the dealer and thats a myth. You just need to go to a facility that knows what they're doing and buys proper tooling. For the guys in cali i def recommend Art's, when i was shopping for the techstream I emailed Paul Cortes from Art's for some info, they are great guys.

16. anthonylokrn

anthonylokrn Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bumping up an old thread.

Just got new tires and wanted to get an alignment done.

So has it been settled that an alignment for the Prius is like any other alignment? Are there additional sensors that requires resetting that only the dealer can do?

Thanks,
    Anthony