1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best way to handle hills?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by yarzy, Oct 12, 2006.

1. yarzy

yarzy New Member

I live in Bucks County, PA and while it is a very pretty area to live in, it is also very hilly. What is the best way to save on fuel in a hilly area? I am sure I can do something better than what I am doing now.

2. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(yarzy @ Oct 12 2006, 09:27 AM) [snapback]331638[/snapback]</div>
    What works for me is to build up as much speed as possible before I reach the bottom of the hill, then maintain a light pressure on the throttle to sort of maintain speed/gradually slow down until I crest the top. I don't do this if there is traffic, though, and keeping a steady speed in hilly country does hurt your mileage. Probably hurts worse, though, in a conventional car, if that's any consolation.

3. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    When there's no traffic, i'd say the best way is definately not to maintain a constant speed. instead, utilize the downhills to gain speed, and the uphills to bleed off excess speed - i would think it's very similar to the P&G technique, from a speed perspective - you "pulse" by going downhill and gaining speed (even though you aren't laying on the gas) and "glide" by going uphill, loosing speed down to a certain point.

i'd say pick a favorite route and run it several times with no traffic, trying different techniques. record the mileage for each technique, and let us know what works out best!

4. Ari

Ari New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Based on a recent trip to Julian, CA (5000 ft elevation difference) my experience is that it doesn't help to go up the hills slowly. A rather brisk pace when going up a hill seems to burn less gas because you spend less time on the hill. This doesn't mean accelerating when going up the hill, but I definitely do not allow the hill to bleed off too much speed.

For example, if I'm an area where my average speed is 65 mpg, I might try to get to 75 when on a downhill portion. When hitting the next hill, I'll try to keep the speed above 60. If I let it get down to the 40's, then I'm burning just as much fuel as I would at 60 but I'll be stuck on the hill longer. Of course if there's traffic, I have no choice but to trudge along behind everyone else.

None of this is going against what has already been posted - definitely use the down hills to your advantage.

5. echase

echase New Member

I concurr that high speed helps before climbing a hill. I have found that it is also helpful to maintain high speed for long hills (only tapering down to 40mph or so as I peak the hill).

My theory is that the ICE is geared high, and thus has it's peak energy transfer while the rest of the drivetrain is moving at high RPM. I have noticed that it is easier to maintain 40mpg on a slight hill if I start at 62mph, and keep it there. If I try to climb the same hill at 35mpH I get around 28mpG.

I'm still trying to determine what the best strategy is when you come to a stop on an incline. My gut tells me that it is best to accellerate quickly to high speed, then keep it there. I know this is not true on a flat.