1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best way to play MP3 player through car?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dureel, Sep 21, 2011.

1. dureel

dureel New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How can I use a regular AUX cable to play through the car speakers? I don't want to use an FM transmitter because there is always static here.

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If you have an 05, that was before they added the optional aux input jack on the 06s and beyond.

Does yours have a tape deck? If so, a cassette adapter is a cheaper, easy solution that's better quality than a FM transmitter and not subject to FM radio interference.

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The best option? Replace the factory stereo with an aftermarket stereo . You can't choose to remove the factory stereo or install the new unit stealth style and leave the factory stereo in place. The new stereo will sound better and can't give you the options of an AUX input, bluetooth for phone calls or streaming audio, USB input, etc..

TheCheapest method is the cassette option or one of the AUX input devises for sale.

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    By stealth, I saw F8L's setup over the weekend where he had it installed in the pocket underneath the stock stereo. The funny part is I just found his post about it (which I've never looked at, until now): http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...alth-install-aftermarket-stereo-in-prius.html and it's in his sig... :eek:

If the OP's Prius has a tape deck, then I don't think the pocket's there. (I'm fuzzy on this since I have the JBL "premium" stereo and the tape deck was ditched as an option starting w/06. Thus, I too have the pocket.)

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Your seriously missed it this whole time? : p

6. Hopopotamus

Hopopotamus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I use Dice Ipod adapter on my 2005 Prius. Price is about $150 + another $100 or so for installation. You can probably install it your self if you have little know how. It's integrated with your factory audio so you can use some basic controls on your steering and it's hidden behind the dashboard so you don't have to worry about ugly aftermarket components. There is also AUX extension so you can use any MP3 player on the market. Sound is excellent and overall I'm happy with the performance. It does have some bugs ( every once in the while player will stop playing for few seconds ) but that is something I can live with.

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yeah, I don't usually care about car stereos only because of the car stereo theft problem I mentioned to you. I also had my Prius broken into (http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...i-need-worried-about-battery-cooling-fan.html). I was out almost $200 for a new rear window and lost my iPod Shuffle, new cell phone, Jawbone BT headset, an old Pocket PC and a bunch of people's business cards due to my carelessness + a @$%#$% thief.

If there were no such thing as car break-ins, I too would invest in better car stereo equipment.

Your stealth install has me thinking, but I'm unlikely to bother unless the JBL stereo dies and is too expensive to fix/replace.