1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Beste speeds (climbing,highway)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by diemonde, Apr 19, 2006.

1. diemonde

diemonde New Member

I was wondering the following:

Climbing:
    What is the most efficient speed to climb hills or even mountains? In a regular car you climb in a low transmission (and lower speed) to have more pull, I guess a certain speed would fit best to the Prius to get the most fuel-efficient climb.

Highway
    All cars have a certain speed which maintained on the highway will be the most fuel-efficient. Any thoughts on what that would be for the Prius?

The questions above are meant in a 'there is no other traffic, i can choose what to do' way.

2. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    same for every car.. 65 or so. what i did notice one time.. when holding a constant 73 is that i was able to get a green battery while going up a very long ( several mile ) incline. It was strange but the car was acting very... fast?.. no.. quick. wanted the charge and to stay at 73.

3. diemonde

diemonde New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(V8Cobrakid @ Apr 19 2006, 09:50 AM) [snapback]241983[/snapback]</div>
    Ok so for Highway it does not make a difference if you are driving a Prius, still the same good old 65 (or 105km/h) on highways.

4. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(diemonde @ Apr 19 2006, 04:28 PM) [snapback]241981[/snapback]</div>
    Above 42mph, higher speed causes worse mileage.
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=1...id=210092&st=26

Ken@Japan

5. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(diemonde @ Apr 19 2006, 04:30 AM) [snapback]241990[/snapback]</div>
    Not true on both counts: most cars are most efficient when the overdrive (or highest gear) kicks in, but RPMs are low. On my Subaru this was about 45 mph, fairly typical. Above that, wind resistance is a big factor. This is why the national speed limit was lowered to 55 mph during the oil crises in the 70's.

For the Prius with its unique transmission, it's been shown that under 40 mph is best, actually 32 mph seems to be the best speed on the level. Above 40 it operates in a different mode, which has been discussed elsewhere.

The group that got over 100 mpg on a standard Prius for a full tank of gas did so by using the pulse-and-glide method between 30 and 40 mph. (On regular roads with stop lights and stop signs, I think it was an 18-mile loop they followed).

nerfer