1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bet you didn't know...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Dakine50, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Dakine50

Dakine50 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I brought along the owner's manual for reading material on a recent trip and stumbled upon these two items...
    1. Under maintenance and care, page 398, it states to not apply wax to the surface of the lights that it may damage the lenses!:eek:
    2. Also listed under maintenance and care, page 401, do not use glass cleaner to clean the rear window as it may cause damage to the heater wires. It says to just use lukewarm water and wipe the glass parallel with the heater wires. **To those who have tinted windows, carry on but make sure you are using a non-ammonia based window cleaner!:)

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup. Read the manual =).

3. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've read the manual several times. I ignore the advice items given here as well as many others.

Also:
    Do not exceed the speed limit
    Do not carry anything off the rear of the car
    Do not carry anything on top of the car
    Do not exceed the recommended tire pressure
    Do not exceed max gross weight
    Do not tow anything

They missed several: Don't fall asleep. Don't put on makeup. Don't read.

But anyway... I'll continue to wax my headlights and clean my rear window. Thanks for the warning though. :)

4. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    As for your Headlight covers, you can use a Wax that is made for those type of surfaces, such a shields on Motorcycle Helmets, etc.

Works like a charm.

I too, used to use Ammoniated products on the rear window and found it discolored the wiring over time, so now I used a commercial window cleaner without ammonia, and it's a breeze to clean.

The rear window is so easy to clean compared to a normal sedan. I sit in the deck and have at it.....not required to be a contortionist! :)