1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bets for weight of 2009 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by clett, May 21, 2007.

1. clett

clett New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    To meet Toyota's ambitious aims for the mileage of the upcoming revised Prius next year (MY09), while still cutting costs over the existing model, I suspect that the new Prius will have been on a comprehensive weight-loss programme!

Does anyone here have any guesses as to how much the 2009 Prius will weigh in?

Existing Prius: 1325 kg (or 2921 lb)

My bet for new Prius: 1190 kg (2620 lb, or 10% lighter).

2. Platypus

Platypus New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clett @ May 21 2007, 08:07 AM) [snapback]446656[/snapback]</div>
    Well switching from the NiMH battery chemistry to the Lithium one is going to save a good bit of weight or if they enlarge the battery and keep the same weight it will have a lot more capacity. Switching over to Lithium will also realize efficiency gains in conversion of the electrical and chemical energy between the motors and battery. Despite the benefits, lithium batteries still misbehave in spectacular fashion when they are not treated well and that's a problem for the accident scene. We'll see what Toyota does.

NiMH (20-80 Wh/kg)(66% charge/discharge efficiency)
    LiIon / LiPoly (150 to 200Wh/kg)(99% charge/discharge efficiency)

[tinfoil]
    The change to Lithium is also probably being pushed by the fact that Toyota got nailed with a 30million dollar lawsuit by Chevron over NiMH battery patents and production that Chevron took control of when they bought Texaco (who bought them from GM) a few years back. This is a big reason that the electric only RAV4 EV is no more... [/tinfoil] :p

3. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Platypus @ May 21 2007, 12:31 PM) [snapback]446711[/snapback]</div>
    Bet: 1155 Kg

And I bet that with the reduced weight/increased efficiency the 09 Prius will accelerate to 50mph purely on electricity and will reach 50mph faster than this HSD Prius.

Ninety mpg city driving: Helllooooo dollie!!!

4. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Consumer Guide had an article that thought the new Prius would be a 2010 introduced in 2009. I am pretty happy with my efficiency, and am a bit skeptical about wild claims. Energy needs to be consumed to move the thing. Already we see that if the Prius is driven in all electric mode and runs down the battery, it is less efficient to use the engine to recharge the battery than to use a combination, as the HSD does well. It may be better, may not, depending on the sacrifices needed to achieve those high numbers. Most people just don't want to drive slower and easier, which conflicts with efficiency big time. Already we see the Prius can get very high mpg's from some users, but a lot complain too. I am happy with it.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1300-1400kg.

Why? because while they'll save weight with a lighter, denser battery pack, it's also just as likely that airbags (those aren't taken into account on the base weight cause they're lazy and just use the 04-06 weight for 2007), VSC might be standard so add that too. The possibility of a larger 1.8 litre engine may negate the weight savings by the smaller battery pack.

Stuff like power seats or SKS that become standard will add weight.

6. tballx

tballx New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Platypus @ May 21 2007, 09:31 AM) [snapback]446711[/snapback]</div>
    Tinfoil? You're entirely too hard on yourself. These companies would drill for oil in your forehead if the ROI was right.

7. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ May 21 2007, 02:45 PM) [snapback]446846[/snapback]</div>
    I agree; any weight savings will be offset by the addition of more 'stuff,' a bigger engine, etc.