1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Better arm rests for driver and passenger doors

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Robert Holt, Aug 22, 2013.

?
  1. No, they are just right for me.

11.8%
  2. They are too high but padding is OK.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. They are too low but padding is OK.

11.8%
  4. They are too high and need more padding.

11.8%
  5. They are too low and need more padding.

64.7%
  1. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I felt the arm rests were too low and needed more padding, but I'm curious what the poll will show!

To fix this I created a higher and more cushioned set of armrests for the driver and passenger front doors. The installation of the passenger side is shown in these two photos.
    Step 1 is make a pattern that fits the curved armrest area from the door handle to the rear of each door. You can get a rough idea what that looks like from the piece of plywood that you see in picture 1.
    Step 2 is saw a piece of 3/16 inch plywood to fit that shape.
    Step 3 is install small jewel-box type hinges on the front edge of the plywood next to the door handle. Fasten hinge to underside of plywood with very small wood screws, smoothing the points of the screws as necessary.
    Step 4 is to install this plywood baseplate on the door armrest. I first tried Velcro strips but it kept coming off so a more permanent attachment was required. I could have used wood or sheet metal screws and screwed the baseplate directly into the plastic of the door, but I chose to use very small bolts and attach it to the surface instead. The nuts for these bolts are glued with epoxy glue onto the plastic surfaces of the handle and the rear of the door (see picture 1). Using very short, small bolts , the baseplate is bolted onto the front and rear nuts to attach it to the door (picture 1). The middle of the baseplate has double-sided carpet tape on it, which is used to attach the top to the baseplate.
    Step 5 is to construct the top section of the new armrest. Try different heights and types of wood and foam until you find a combination that works for you. I settled on 1 inch layer of wood topped with a 3/4 inch layer of medium density, closed-cell foam from an old kitchen floor mat. The wood and foam were both cut to fit the template size of the baseplate. I attached them to the baseplate with doubled sided carpet tape but you could also glue them together.
    Step 6 is to attach the top section to the baseplate (picture 2). I used carpet tape for the final attachment so that I could easily detach the top and then remove the baseplate if that ever becomes necessary. image.jpg image.jpg

2. jeremy j

jeremy j Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is one of my wives biggest gripes. She hates the armrest being too low. Do you have any pics of the finished product?

Robert Holt likes this.
  3. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sure! The second pic on the original posting was the "finished" product on the passenger side door. (Wife preferred the foam mat with the seaside scene on it. But solid color matching paint scheme of car would work also.)
    The pics below are for the driver's side door armrest installation . I used 1 inch solid wood cut to shape and topped by the 3/4 inch medium density foam pad, all mounted on the 3/16 inch plywood base with carpet tape. That combo gives me the same armrest height as the center console and feels much better when I rest both elbows of my orangutan arms on them. Wife is very petite and does not use any armrest whilst driving (short arms) but does like to use the passenger side one when I am driving. If you make armrests, please post pics of yours!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg