1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Better cargo area lighting.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by adric22, Jan 16, 2011.

1. adric22

adric22 Ev and Hybrid Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I got fed up with the wimpy little light bulb in the cargo area. This is especially important to me since I have an Enginer kit back there and if I ever needed to open it up in a dark parking lot or something, I'd never be able to see anything. I can barely see groceries back there. So I bought these two LED strip lights at AutoZone. What I did was pop the little light fixture out and soldered the wires directly to the bulb. I tried to solder to the metal in the fixture, but it proved resistant to soldering. I brought the wire out to two pigtails, one for the left side of the cargo area, one for the right. The lights are flexible and have a very sticky back so I just stuck them to the trim panel and drilled a small hole for the wire. I had experimented for a while to find the optimal position for these lights, and this area seemed to work best. Right now I only have one installed, soon I'll have the second one. I can tell you this, the result is fantastic. The lighting back there is tremendously better and it only cost $19.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. PhazonPhobe

PhazonPhobe His name is Sora

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ohhh. I like that. Seems pretty simple to do as well. I've always hate the lighting back there as well. I don't have an engineer's kit, but I basically have a whole tool box under the carpet, and I'm usually found using the flash light app on my phone to see wth is in there.

I might even like to add a strip or two to the inside of the little compartment under the carpet. Seems like if you were to put one on each side (just stick it right to the plastic bucket/basket thing), it would light that area fairly well.

3. pEEf

pEEf Engineer - EV nut

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I also have a PHEV system back there and wanted more light. I ended up replacing the crappy incandescent bulb with a 3 watt LED to achieve the same result. I'll try to post pictures when I get a chance.

4. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
  5. adric22

adric22 Ev and Hybrid Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yes, that is the exact product I used. I don't think it is 24", unless you count both strips. I just finished wiring up the other side and it looks great, I couldn't be happier with the concept.

6. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
  7. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm using a 6 SMD LED festoon in place of the oem bulb and it is significantly brighter. The only problem is I had to pull back the clips pretty far to make the bulb fit.

8. trentofdestiny

trentofdestiny Master Finagler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Any thoughts on, say, a 12 SMD LED festoon?

Such as, eBay item # 170668435584 for example

9. Ryanpl

Ryanpl Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I tried a 12 SMD and it didn't fit in the fixture with the cover.

10. trentofdestiny

trentofdestiny Master Finagler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you look for the incandescent part number equivalent, you of course come up with the 31mm festoon, BUT if you search eBay for a 28mm, you get a 28mm.

Example: eBay item 140587233079

11. newemi

newemi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Festoon Dome Lights from autolumination FTW.

They have the replacements for festoons that are so freaking bright its ridiculous. I replaced the bulbs in my lancer with them and even though I have 20% tint all around. At night when I open the door you wouldn't have a clue. It's like the sun came up inside my car.

The best ones are three quarters the way down that page, the 25-48 led array. The ones with the leds mounted on a small board/chip, and wired to the plastic festoon fake bulb. Or another easier option for a simple buy: Super Bright LED Car Interior Lights | Toyota Prius SMD LED Car Lights

But the leds are not as good overall.

12. jason petter

jason petter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    To: adric22
    can you show more info how to install it ? where do you buy the "wire out to two pigtails" thanks

13. SunDevilDrake

SunDevilDrake Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I recently put in a 6 SMD LED in. OP could do the same so the original light and after market light match colors.

Any new pics in the dark with both sides done?

Radioshack (n)

#13 SunDevilDrake, Jul 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2015