1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Better Fit - 5.25" or 6.5" speakers?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by stevecaz, Jun 8, 2008.

1. stevecaz

stevecaz New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've spent hours and hours in Priuschat researching all I can about my forthcoming Prius (supposedly in a week!) but haven't seen this: I've found that the door speakers in my non-JBL Pkg #2 are 6.5". We skipped the Pkg 3 as I couldn't manage any decent sound (quality, not volume) during our test drive. However, for instance, Crutchfield only recommends 5.25" speakers. Is this because of the larger magnets on quality speakers, and the stock 6.5" size will have interference?

I have seen posts of some 6.5" installs, but with adapters and modifications. Of course, a 5.25" speaker will need a reduction adapter although perhaps speakers come with this plate.

I'm looking at Infinity Kappa Components, and not necessary from Crutchfield right now as there is a wide price variation. But obviously with Crutchfield you know everything needed for installation will come with.

2. SparrowHawk60

SparrowHawk60 Happy to be green!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm not trying to be a smart-nice person, and I haven't yet changed the speakers on my Prius, but:...
    Call Crutchfield and talk to one of their service advisors, they have always been very helpful when I've called.
    I venture to bet that the speakers will come large enough to fit the 6.5 opening. Crutchfield has changed their policy on sending adapters, fit kits, wire adapters, etc! You now have to order over $100 of a single component to get all the freebee stuff.

3. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Crutchfield is wrong.

The door panels come off in about 30 seconds. Just pull them off and measure the opening yourself.

4. kmmbstreet

kmmbstreet New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have 6.5" JL Audio speakers in my Prius. Had them installed at Tweeter w/ custom mounts. Tried Circuit City first and they messed up the install. The mounts are needed because of the size of the magnants. It was a very professional install and well worth the $ 100 for all 4 doors vs $ 80 for CC mounts that did not fit correctly.

5. rep308

rep308 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I just had Boston Acoustics Pro 60's 6.5" speakers installed. It still required some custom fitting, but came out nice when they used lots of Dynamat. The stock speakers had to have the rivets drilled out to remove them. They really look flimsy.

6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    6.5" is the correct size to use. The install will require speaker adapaters much like the factory uses but Best Kits and Metra both sell them and they should only run you about $12-$15/set.

That being said, you can install up to a 7" speaker if you make a wooden trim ring/spacer. The install required no other special work.

As for the tweeters...... Those were not so easy. My aftermarket tweeters are quite large and won't go in the stock location so we are building little mounting pods that fit in the cubby hole by the little fender windows right next to the windshield.

7. Grayson73

Grayson73 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Are you sure 7" speakers will fit? How deep can the speakers be?