1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Better Ground Loop Isolator than Radio Shack

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by jonbeck, Aug 21, 2006.

1. jonbeck

jonbeck New Member

After installing the DICE, I had the noise with my XM radio through the Aux input. I ran down to the local radio shack and purchased the Ground loop isolator that is in the manual. I thought everything was fine, but today on the drive to work, I notice a high pitch whine, especially when accelerating or on EV. When gliding, the noise is not there. It's pretty quiet, but noticeable on the talk channels and baseball games. I've got a feeling that, like most Radio Shack products, this one isn't one of the best available.

Anyone else have this problem? Anyone have any recs on a better quality ground loop isolator?

thanks

2. benlenz

benlenz Junior Member

I have the Harman/Kardon Drive+Play and had lots of ground loop noise.

I bought a ground loop isolator from Crutchfield. Abt $25 with shipping. I've only had it about a week, but it seems to be doing the job very well. Nice and quiet.

It has standard 1/8 inch miniplugs, too, so there's no need for adapters to RCA.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-YcfpvR3Ezg5/c...oop&i=127SNI135

3. jonbeck

jonbeck New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(garbageman @ Aug 22 2006, 02:53 AM) [snapback]307382[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, I'll give it a try! I'll be able to clean up about 6 feet of RCA adaptors too.

4. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I'll be needing another Ground Loop Isolator for the house. Maybe I'll get this one and use it in the Prius and take Radio Shack one I have there out for the house.

Thanks for posting!

5. aolm

aolm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    GLI's kill all your frequency response. You would better off with an FM interface. Check out "This sticky topic is a list of hardware products/mods currently known to work with the Prius " on this site for a fix.

6. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(garbageman @ Aug 22 2006, 02:53 AM) [snapback]307382[/snapback]</div>
    How are you guys buying those things!? Every time I look it is out of stock. I'm on the notification list, and I have it in my cart... been that way for months, and it never seems to come into stock!

7. DaveSheremata

DaveSheremata New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aolm @ Aug 24 2006, 09:26 PM) [snapback]309118[/snapback]</div>
    It all depends on whether they're FET based or transformer based. (well, II think most of the FETs need a sink transformer too...). There doesn't have to be signal loss with either design - it's just that vendors like to sell $12 parts for $60.

Generally you'd do best with an FET based isolator, but requires a power source...

Dave

8. dancekat59

dancekat59 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Aug 25 2006, 12:08 AM) [snapback]309198[/snapback]</div>
    Huh. The notification system must not work because I ordered and received the crutchfield one about a month ago.

9. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  10. aolm

aolm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Sounds like I lucked out on the GLI thing. I have an aux box in for my Sirius receiver. It plays clean. I had to install a GLI in my sienna van for the aux box to aftermarket DVD...sounds very flat and low. DaveSheremata is suggesting that I should try a FET based GLI with a power source?

11. sluggo42

sluggo42 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dancekat59 @ Aug 25 2006, 11:04 AM) [snapback]309317[/snapback]</div>
    I just ordered mine from eBay, same price. $17.99 + $6>99 shipping.
    I want to know what these guys are talking about with the FEB based GLI???

12. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Crutchfield has them back in stock.

Quick question: Does only the XM radio cause the feedback or any device plugged into the AUX? I am asking this because I am trying to figure out if I should install it inside my dash or let it hang out of the bottom in case I have to unplug it.

13. sluggo42

sluggo42 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(garbageman @ Aug 22 2006, 04:53 AM) [snapback]307382[/snapback]</div>
    I got this one too, problem solved!

14. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Does this thing cut out the reproduction of treble and other high-end sounds from your stereo??

15. hammermill

hammermill Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I am also interested in any first-hand experience regarding the extent to which the Crutchfield and Radio Shack GLIs affect sound quality. I just received a Kensington Ultra Portable Power Inverter and suspect that I would find a small reduction in audio fidelity preferable to the level of hum generated without a GLI. Thanks for any additional input!

16. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The only thing I do not like is that I have to have my volume set at 40 when normally I have it at 20. So I have to remember to lower it before I switch from my aux line to the radio or be blasted out of the car. I am not sure if this is a byproduct of the isolation loop or the DICE unit.