1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Better Headrests plus monitors available

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by naterprius, Jan 12, 2005.

1. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    So, I experimented a bit, and discovered that the 2004 Sienna headrest fits perfectly in the 2004 Prius. The Vizualogic replacement headrests with built-in video screens also fit perfectly. However, these headrests seem to be available only with leather, and only in Stone or Fawn, not ivory. These headrests could be mated with a DIN size DVD player that goes below the stereo and this would give the front seat passenger control over the player. (Rear seat is via remote sensor in the headrest). Audio is done via wireless headphones.

I will try out ivory headrests from other models to see if they match as well.

Nate

2. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Great Work Nate! I have been meaning to go to the local Toyota dealer with a tape measure and check this out. Let us know what else you find.

Wayne

3. toyotapartsnow

toyotapartsnow New Member

Let me know which headrests you decide on so that I can check the pricing.

Thanks.

4. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Are the standard Sienna headrests different from the Prius headrests? One thing I don't like about mine is the angle of the forward tilt toward the top. I set the seat back 1 notch back from vertical (my preferred position) or the headrest pushs against my head. Not comfy.

5. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Well, Eddie, since you are the one at the dealership! Go around the lot and see what you can find! ;-)

Nate

6. toyotapartsnow

I did think of that. The only problem is we don't have a Prius on on lot.

Sorry

7. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That and it's about to get cold in Cleveland - 30 degree drop on Friday! Brrrr...

Thursday
    High: 58
    Low: 22
    Windy. Showers and a
    chance of...More

Friday
    High: 25
    Low: 10
    Mostly cloudy with a
    chance of...More

8. toyotapartsnow

9. Jonathan

Jonathan New Member

Do the Sienna headrests tilt?

10. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Eddie, if you get a slow moment, perhaps you can swap a few between a Sienna and some other vehicles. (Since the Sienna fits the Prius). Some good candidates might be a highlander with ivory cloth. I used to live in Michigan, and it is freaking cold out this time of year, so I don't blame you if you put this off until spring.

To all, the Sienna headrest is significantly more comfortable than the Prius one.

I don't know if it tilts, but the Vizualogic replacement headrest does tilt.

Nate

11. toyotapartsnow

Sienna and Highlander? I'll take a look.

12. toyotapartsnow

I checked every model on the showroom floor. I took a headrest from an 05 Sienna and tried it in a 4runner, Highlander, Avalon, Camry, Rav4, Scion xB, Corolla and Matrix. The Corolla and the Matrix use a different headrest than the other models. The posts are smaller. The Rav4 uses the same size posts but, the locking mechanism is different. All the other models will work just fine. The Highlander and the 4runner have a tilt function also.

I do not have a Prius handy to check color matching.

There ya are. :mrgreen:

13. disneydad

disneydad Junior Member

As always, thanks for you efforts Eddie

14. ericprius

ericprius Junior Member

I bet all the salesman on the floor were giving you weird looks when you were running around with all those headrests trying them out on different models! :lol:

As always - your efforts are always appreciated.

15. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

If you don't need the locking mechanism, in other words, having it all the way down is OK, you can turn the headrest around. I did that, feels a lot better.

16. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Some time ago, there was a post that someone turned around the shotgun seat head rest for their wife. I tried that on the driver's seat and it is better. But I got a little worried that it might not function properly in an accident if it wasn't locked. I think I can use it all the way down and backwards as that is where I have it in its 'normal' position. Is it safe though?

17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I found the headrest awkward at first but it does help since it brings the headrest closer to your head reducing whiplash.

18. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Unfortunately that means it shoves my head forward.
    Look at the angle from the seatback to the top of the headrest. It is pretty severe.

I don't know too many people who, while sitting up straight, have that wicked a kink in their neck.

Unless the top half of the headrest is above the top of your head, it forces you to tilt your head forward. Not the best for your neck. Otherwise, the top of it needs to be below ear level, which is NOT considered the safe method. Note that kids are supposed to move up or out of car seats when the top of their ears are higher than the back of the car seat.

19. techogurl

techogurl New Member

Glad to hear that someone thought of this. I've always thought that the headrest was sorta uncomfortable but didn't want to turn it around as I've been in a rear collision and would rather not take chances there. But I find myself leaning forward a tad due to the headrest.

20. flyingprius

flyingprius New Member

I personally wouldn't tinker around with the headrests between models. The headrests are specially designed for each seat and most importantly the safety of the occupant of that seat. NEVER turn the headrest around the other way, it will not afford you proper rear impact protection. We've been rear ended twice very hard; my neck hurt after my Subaru accident but not the Saab accident, and the Saab accident was worse. Some people may find headrests that touch your head annoying like in the Prius or the Saab, but they will afford you far better protection in an accident, we got used to the design very quickly. Toyota is very strict about the proper use of a head restraint as found in the owner's manual concerning front and rear impact safety.