1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Better MPG

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kupe, Jul 10, 2006.

1. kupe

kupe New Member

I'm trying to find a way to adjust the cruise control to add some mpg to my 2005 Prius,(10,000miles).
    Ever since we've had to start using 90/10 ethanol gas, the mileage had dropped from 54 highway and 48 city to 50 highway and 42 city.
    NOT GOOD!
    Having talked to a Prius mechanic, he said you could not adjust the battery- engine settings so I'm trying to loosen up the cruise control to back off about 5 mph when going up hills and then regain the speed on the down side.
    Any thoughts?
    Kupe

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think for that kind of control you're just going to have to go 'old school' and use your foot.

BTW, E10 won't account for that degree of FE drop, you need to look elsewhere for an explaination.

3. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kupe @ Jul 10 2006, 02:55 PM) [snapback]284017[/snapback]</div>
    Although not very convenient, push the stalk down 3 times on the way up and then push it up 3 times going down the hill. If you want to go faster than the original speed going down hill, push it up some more.

4. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jul 10 2006, 01:09 PM) [snapback]284030[/snapback]</div>

I'd agree, more likely the 100+ temps with 90% humidity = more AC use. That would account for some of the loss. I'd check the tire pressure too, as the heat can really effect those as well.

I only use cruise control sparingly...and never going up a hill, where I can "play" with the pedal to eeek out every last MPG. Cruise is very aggressive on hills!