1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Better (sportier) seats

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by danix, Dec 31, 2010.

1. danix

danix Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I drive over 100 miles/day and find the seats uncomfortable.

I am new here, but I know a few things:
    • 04/05 seats are different from later years, in terms of wiring
    • You can install a Recaro for around $2000
    • airbags in the seat make transplants difficult

OK, let's say I figure how to trick the airbag system into thinking the bag is still there, either with a compatible bag or a resistor.
    In terms of seat rail compatibility, I was wondering about:
    • Late model Celica seats
    • Late model MR2 seats, these are unlikely and rare
    • Scion TC seats

The Recaro route is appealing but too expensive. I can buy a new set of VW GLI Recaros for under $1000, but the wiring, seatbelt receptable, and of course bases won't work.

I was eyeballing a Scion TC the other day and I think the seats will fit.
    Can anyone confirm or deny?

2. SLiM253

SLiM253 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    as far aas airbags go, there is a company called KP Technologies that makes modules that allow you to add aftermarket seats in vehicles equipped with seat srs with out the airbag light coming on or affecting the rest of the vehicles srs. (they make them for my g35 anyways...)

3. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You might also be able to find the Recaros out of a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X or Ralliart for cheaper than $2000, although I don't know the compatibility in terms of seat rails.

4. danix

danix Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the replies.
    As I mentioned, you can get a new set of VW GLI recaros for under $1000 (for both seats) with airbags, if I wanted to go that route. If the Evo seats dropped in, that's a different story.

I'm less concerned about the airbags and more about the rail compatibility. Really just looking for an easier path than fabrication.

As far as the airbag modules, most of those are just resistors that fool the computer into thinking the bag is still there.