1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Better than I expected

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ChuX, Dec 28, 2004.

1. ChuX

ChuX New Member

I finally had the chance to rent a Prius from work after waiting 3 months to turn 21. I must say, the acceleration and handling on the highway is much better than I expected. I was able to easily pass cars when needed. I'm impressed that the car indicates if the wheels are slipping on icy surfaces. I've been showing it to my friends and after seeing and riding in it, they want one too.

After driving it for more than a day, it prompts me to save up money to cover the insurance costs for owning one. I hope I can afford one soon. After driving it, I don't want to return it.

I got one question though. If the heater is on, does it make the ICE turn on more frequently?

2. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes the heat does that

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    First, I'm glad that you have found that the Prius exceeds your expectations. Perhaps you can understand our frustration when dealing with people who want to talk the car down but refuse to drive / ride in one. And what you say about your friends, that's a common phenomenon as well.

I had to laugh when I read about the tires slipping. While I think the objective is to not get in situations where the tires are slipping, it is reassuring that the car pretty much "takes car of itself" and lets you know what it's doing.

And yeah, what Paprius said, running the the heater does increase the occurence of ICE engagement. If you are running "Auto A/C" I think it runs all the time. If you are running normal heat, it will still turn off on occasion, but not as often as, say, in the summer. You also have to understand that the engine will run if only to maintain its own core temperature. There are numerous threads on this board pertaining to low temperatures and decreasing mileage. Many of those threads get rather technical. A quick search should reveal them.

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    First, I'm glad that you have found that the Prius exceeds your expectations. Perhaps you can understand our frustration when dealing with people who want to talk the car down but refuse to drive / ride in one. And what you say about your friends, that's a common phenomenon as well.

I had to laugh when I read about the tires slipping. While I think the objective is to not get in situations where the tires are slipping, it is reassuring that the car pretty much "takes car of itself" and lets you know what it's doing.

And yeah, what Paprius said, running the the heater does increase the occurence of ICE engagement. If you are running "Auto A/C" I think it runs all the time. If you are running normal heat, it will still turn off on occasion, but not as often as, say, in the summer. You also have to understand that the engine will run if only to maintain its own core temperature. There are numerous threads on this board pertaining to low temperatures and decreasing mileage. Many of those threads get rather technical. A quick search should reveal them.

5. DavePrius

DavePrius New Member

I run Auto A/C almost year round and the ICE does turn off when it needs to. The key to saving fuel in the winter is the same as in your home. LOWER the thermostat.

6. ChuX

ChuX New Member

Here's an update after driving the Prius for 5 days. I discovered how to use the cruise control and love how I can adjust the speed by 1mph increments and decrements.

So far, everyone I showed it to loves the car. The funniest reactions I've got were "the engine is on?!" when I pulled away from a parking spot in complete silence. And "Oh my god, the [front passenger] seat folds down flat!"

The car's performance completly surprised my friends who didn't think much of the Prius. I think a few of my friends are now leaning towards getting their own. As for me, I am setting aside more of my paycheck so I could get on in late 2005.

7. jeffn

jeffn New Member

I was also quite impressed with the car last year when I rented one inFL for 10 days. I was more impressed that I could actually rent a car that was basically backorded to own.

Takes a while to get accustomed to the cvt though.

8. ChuX

ChuX New Member

I had to hit the brakes hard today, and I must say the Prius did a great job at stopping in an emergency.

I was coasting down a block at 20 mph when a car pulls out of a parking spot without signaling and without appearing to be leaving the spot before I reached within 15 ft. I slammed on the brakes and had a good 3-4 ft of space. That car didn't either slow down or anything. It seems as though the driver didn't if check if there were any cars coming before pulling out.

I think I gave the car a thorough test this week and I feel very safe behind the wheel of the Prius.

9. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Just try to go back to a conventional car after driving a Prius for a few weeks. Your first impression will be that you will never stop! :mrgreen:

10. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jeffn\";p=\"60882)</div>
    Really? I didn't think so. It never shifts, you never feel anything. It takes awhile to get used to non Prii transmissions if you ever have to 'go back'! :)

Now that I think about it, in the 3.5 months I've had mine I have been in another car exactly TWICE. Both times it was my wife's standard Subaru wagon and I was driving. Boy was THAT wierd. Clutch??? Key??? Twist ??? Where is reverse??? I actually hit the left side of the steering wheel to raise the radio volume. Um, no good, no switch. I have been assimilated!! :lol:

When I got home last night I forgot she had to leave for a meeting before I left for the rink. I parked mid driveway. A while later I remembered and told her I was going out to move the Prius. "I can take it if you don't want to move it" she said. (I think I detected a hint of hopefulness in her voice) "Nah, I don't mind" AT ALL!!!!! I even used my new EV switch so the engine didn't start for this minimal maneuver (or manoeuvre if you like).

11. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) It took me all of a 20-MINUTE demo drive to be convinced...

My pre-conceived notion that a "Hybrid" was sluggish and dull was dispelled in a very few minutes of a 20-minute drive in a used Prius at my nearby Toyota dealer. Actually, I'm convinced that my SO quietly hoped the Hybrid performance would disappoint me so I wouldn't spend the $$$ to buy one.

We bought "Ernestine" [named after Lili Tomlin's telephone operator character since she responds in strange ways sometimes] on eBay used with 4,500 miles on the odometer. With each succeeding week, I have become more satisfied with her performance and features. I can't REALLY say "Better than I expected" because I did expect excellence - after all, she IS a TOYOTA! There have been good surprises and even after 3+ months and near an added 4,000 miles, I'm still discovering good things about Ernestine.

Our recent ~800 mile loop to visit family over the Holidays, Ernestine yielded ~50 MPG on the highway runs and 48.6 MPG overall. We cruised at 70 MPH, passing at up to 85 MPH.