1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Better to change oil with engine (oil) hot or cold?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by NavyLCDR, Dec 18, 2016.

1. NavyLCDR

NavyLCDR Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So, reading the previous thread about how much oil drains when the engine is hot v. cold..... I've always thought it was better to change the oil with the oil hot because it would flow more quickly out of the oil pan and leave less inside the oil pan.

But now I'm wondering if doing it hot is leaving oil in the upper parts of the engine and not letting all drain out that could? So which is better - hot or cold oil change?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't think there's any agreement. i like it hot, pull the plug, and let it drain for a few hours.

when you take it somewhere, it's warm to hot, they change it and you're on your way. unless you drop it off the day before.

3. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Warm

Rebound likes this.
  4. Jimi1976

Jimi1976 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I will usually change it warm....letting it drain for 30 minutes once filter has been pulled.

Lucifer likes this.
  5. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Warm. Meaning let it sit for a half hour before pulling the plug.

BUT.......don't worry about it. Really.
    The few ounces of used oil remaining in the upper engine if you do it hot immediately after stopping will NOT cause a problem.

6. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Just not cold.

7. Siward

Siward Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The point an oil change is to help get rid of the debris and contaminated oil. Warmer oil will probably flow better so more oil will probably drain out when hot/warm.

I would say the better point is to run the engine a bit to help circulate oil around and suspend the debris. It helps you get rid of more junk when you drain the oil.

I just drain my engine cold. In the end, the force of gravity will get most of the gunk out. Any other effort leads to very little gains.

Manhal K Alrashdan likes this.
  8. Jimi1976

Jimi1976 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The takeaway here is to avoid those 5 minute quick lube places, that barely let the oil stream stop before plugging it back up to get you out the door.

Do it yourself.....pay a neighbor....or your trusted mechanic

9. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I've never seen any difference, hot or cold. It drains faster hot, but if you're not in a "real hurry" it makes no difference. As far as "suspending stuff" in the oil, if it's that dirty you have -real- problems. I find "hot" is more trouble doing it myself (don't want to get burned). Because the GIII Prius is so low, and has to be raised so far to open the oil filter change door, I -have- to drive it up on ramps, and that does warm up the oil a bit. But it's not "hot".
    Do keep in mind that the Prius carries 3-4 litres/quarts of oil. Leaving 3-5 ccs in there IS NOT going to make any difference! You ARE NOT cleaning the engine interior by changing oil!

qdllc and Raytheeagle like this.
  10. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    And THAT is usually how you GET the oil to be hot or warm before draining it out.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you drain it hot, be careful, it's hot! goggles, gloves, face protection, etc.

12. Neohippy

Neohippy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I drain it cold and put the plug back in as soon as the flow has almost stopped. I'm not that worried about the last bit. The only way you will get the sludge out if its built up is to pull the oil pan. Some people warm their cars up for 5 minutes before driving. It's all preference there isn't really a right or wrong. Whatever makes you feel good.

#12 Neohippy, Dec 19, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
    Raytheeagle and Rebound like this.
  13. NavyLCDR

NavyLCDR Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks! My commute to/from work is 45 miles each way. So, after the 45 mile drive, I pulled it in the garage, changed out of uniform. Put it up on ramps and was surprised at how lukewarm the oil was compared to my previous car, a Mazda 3 which would be really hot. Cursed at the oil filter cap a bit because the dang little clip was in the way of the wrench I bought in advance.

I purchased this used 2011 Prius about 2 months ago so this is the first oil change I have done on a Prius. People complain about the dipstick, but I didn't have any real problems reading the oil level, although I did have to read the "backside" of it, at least the natural way I pulled it out the oil level was smeared on the topside, but flipping it over was pretty easy to read. 4.5 quarts put it exactly at the full mark.

The previous owner said he ran over a parking concrete block so the lower radiator support is bent back some on the passenger side and now I have to figure out how to replace that.

14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Checking oil level directly after shutting down, vs hours later: I see no noticeable difference. Also, I did an oil change a couple of days back, with air temp slightly below freezing. I needed to pour some bulk 0W20 into a bottle afterwards, and it was pretty slow flowing.

As I said in the other thread: you have to drive the car anyway, do your oil change right after a drive seems like the smart money.

15. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This.

Back in the day when oil came in CANS, maybe temperature made a difference in getting a good oil drain, but now most every oil is so viscous (even in very cold temps) that it flows well. Hot drains faster, but if time isn't an issue, just let it sit longer before putting the plug back in.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Looking in the Toyota Prius Repair Manual, I see no mention of engine temperature in the oil change instruction. However, looking in the Honda Shop Manual for a previous car, step one is:

1. Warm up the engine.

Take your pick. Personally, I know the oil flows easier when hot, and I suspect particulate will be more homogenized when the car's been recently run and warmed up. It's by no means difficult to do oil changes right after a drive, so that's what I do.

But yeah, either way you'll get it done.

upload_2016-12-20_10-12-3.png
    [​IMG][​IMG]

#16 Mendel Leisk, Dec 20, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  17. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    If it is not causing a problem, why bother ??

18. NavyLCDR

NavyLCDR Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Because I like things to be correct. I've seen too many things go to crap in life because the "why bother with that" little things add up.

Montgomery likes this.
  19. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I like that attitude and I share it.......to a point.
    IF it is likely to cause a problem in the future, by all means fix it.
    IF however it is NOT likely to ever cause a problem, then don't obsess and waste your time and money; especially if nobody can see it but you.

How often do you replace the scraped up/slightly bent air dam under your front bumper ??

20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah with some mainly cosmetic items, I'm loath to react immediately, you know it'll be hit again before long. And if it's plastic, down low, meh. One thing, I'm all over missing fasteners, because neglecting them can cascade.

But radiator support bent might be good to mend/replace.