1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

better your own environment

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by SSimon, Jun 27, 2006.

1. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  2. wstander

wstander New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Jun 27 2006, 10:33 AM) [snapback]277448[/snapback]</div>

Thanks for posting these links.

I have been xeriscaping for over 18 years and find the attraction to native wildlife is pleasurable. In my case, that includes birds of prey and wild cats like cougars, so I still have some fencing B)

3. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I saw your name and I thought you were going to pick on me again, sniffle.

I know what you mean. I started planting native forbs, grasses, trees, shrubs and vines (killed about half of my lawn to do so) and the transition is remarkable. Plus, it's pretty. Among all the neat birds and butterflies I've attracted, I now have lightning bugs (which I think are going extinct!?!?!). My next plan is to install a dragonfly breeding pond and a rain water garden. Do you know about the latter???? It's a new concept where you make a depression in your yard in a place where the roof run off is most pronounced and the land is naturally sloped and plant it with native plants and grasses. The roots of native species go down anywhere from 5 to about 20 feet (compared to lawn turf which is a couple inches). The plants then filter most of the pollutants out of the water before the water returns to streams, ponds, lakes, sewers, etc.

I have also installed specific native flora for all butterflies that reside in my area to facilitate the larval stages.

in reading your post, however, my area seems anti-climatic compared to your! How amazing must it be to look out your window and see a Cougar!

4. wstander

wstander New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Jun 27 2006, 11:01 AM) [snapback]277470[/snapback]</div>

I was in the middle of sending my reply when the system went down for upgrades....

Anyway, yes, have had 2 cougars sighted on the street and one in the horse trail. I live in an area known as the back country of San Diego County, so we get falcons and eagles as well as rabbits and other birds. Especially plentiful this year are songbirds and nightbirds. I planted over 30 trees in the yard, and the remainder in roses and hibuscus; no grass. I will add a water feature later, but I need to ensure that the mosquitoes are repelled somehow; I don't need to worry about West Nile virus :rolleyes:

5. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sounds beautiful wstander! Nice job on the habitat improvement. You must have a nice sized lot for all those trees.

i read that bt dunks kill mosquito larvae but nothing else. it's supposedly a bacteria that targets them solely. i guess it's safe for fish and dragonfly larvae, fyi. i don't think they're expensive either.

maybe with your two cougars will come six!

6. wstander

wstander New Member

Yes, it is a half-acre. When we first moved here, we had lived in a duplex, so the land was quite a start! (The land also rolls, so I have elevation changes as well)

I has only beenin the past 5 years that we have gotten the weeds under control (lots of mulch)

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    When I did my landscaping I took out (or tried) all of the grass. I put in a lot of brick patios and walkways. And the plants in the beds all have drip irrigation on timers. The grass comes back but I pull it out as best I can. It's bermuda and I was told it can go down over 20 feet and is pretty much impossible to get rid off. I have a bird bath and a fountain that recycles water. I've started planting ornamental grasses and I'm looking at flowers for butteflies and hummingbirds. I will keep my roses and my lemon tree though.