1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured BEV's cheaper and better at cutting emissions than FCV's

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Ashlem, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Thoughts on this? This may also be why Toyota is now reluctantly looking at making a long ranged BEV (battery electric vehicle) as well, since their Mirai fuel cell vehicle is selling/leasing at a much slower rate than they were anticipating.

But I'm sure those nearly 400k $1k reservations for a Tesla Model 3 suddenly made them turn their heads too. Can't claim "nobody wants us to build plug-in electric cars" anymore.

Battery-electric cars cheaper, better at cutting emissions than fuel cells: Stanford study

2. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    The down fall of the Mirai is the "ïnfrastructure" for Hydrogen generation/ distribution is the culprit, under my understanding.
    I was ready to plunk my hard earned money for a Mirai but .........refueling it?????

RCO, Ashlem and bwilson4web like this.
  3. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    There's also the cost of the hydrogen. Though Toyota covers the first three years, up to $15k, what happens to someone who buys it in year 4 and beyond? I've heard it's about the equivalent of $8 a gallon, and that's using natural gas, which defeats the "green" aspect of hydrogen. Renewable via electrolysis brings up the costs due to needing more electricity.

Not sure how many people are willing to pay more for fuel from less places. And it still makes you dependent on a fueling station you have to drive out to in the middle of a blizzard, during a downpour, or on a hot and humid day with the sun beating down on you.

I'll settle for charging my electric car in my garage after I get home from work or shopping.

RCO likes this.
  4. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    This is similar to the study that concluded "water is wet" :ROFLMAO:

Toyota knew this, as did everyone else that would simply compare the efficiencies of FCVs vs EVs.

FCVs have great potential to replace a few vehicles that can't be replaced with EVs.
    They also have an advantage of not requiring behavior changes over gas burners.

This is offset by the inconvenience of the old behaviors once people realize it.

What it comes down to is FCVs are cleaner than Gas cars, and EVs are cleaner than both.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there must be a secret hydrogen lobby somewhere. germany?

RCO likes this.
  6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It come from Detroit who never imagined fool-cells could be affordable. They were killing Gore's Partnership program that would have made 2000s into the market today.

Bob Wilson

RCO likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    interesting, i never knew that. what made cali buy in, do they hate gore as well?

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It is why I give them a "B". Good but not perfect. However, now that Toyota only sells FCV where there are hydrogen fuel stations, reality is 'up close and personal.'

I did see an article that Toyota is going to focus on FCV - heavy trucks (and fleet vehicles.) Vehicles that have a central depot that they return to each night would support a hydrogen fuel station and get more diesels off the roads. But this begins to sound like T. Boone Pickens and the natural gas powered Civic and they aren't selling terribly well either.

Bob Wilson

telmo744, bisco and Prius Maximus like this.
  9. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Still looks like it would be simpler to just add a plug.

bwilson4web likes this.
  10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV