1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BEWARE: don't use fingernail to scratch bird droping from windshield

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jplotinus, Apr 7, 2006.

1. jplotinus

jplotinus New Member

Spare me the 'you dummy' comments, my significant other has already done that in abundance. Fact is, I don't ever recall being able to permanently scratch a windshield with a fingernail, but that is what I've done to my 6wk old Prius.

I suppose it's appropriate to explore whether or not this experience is indicative of a broader defect, or if, on the other hand, sig is right after all???

If anyone else has had or heard of this problem, would appreciate hearing about it.

2. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ok I won't call you a 'dummy', but how about gross.

And no I've never EVER heard of scratching glass with a combo of bird crap and fingernails. You are the first one.

3. benighted

benighted New Member

I've never heard of being able to scratch a windshield with your fingernail...

4. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bird poo is very acidic, and scratchy. Remove it as soon as possible, and not by rubbing. I've been advised not to blast it with the hose, but to use a big pitcher of hot water to gently rinse most of it away first, and it seems to work.

5. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(benighted @ Apr 7 2006, 11:43 AM) [snapback]236427[/snapback]</div>
    First of all, don't do that - for health reasons.

Second, is it possible that a ring is what actually scratched the glass? It doesn't seem likely that a fingernail could do that. But maybe yours are industrial strength?

6. finally_got_one

finally_got_one New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jplotinus @ Apr 7 2006, 11:29 AM) [snapback]236421[/snapback]</div>
    No, it isnt a Toyota problem.

Some birds, in order to aid their digestion, eat small rocks or sand. These are in turn passed out of their body, and if scratched, will cause a scratch on glass or a painted surface. Do not scratch off bird droppings, soak them off carefully, making sure not to rub at all. If not done during a car wash, wash and then wax the car. Make sure all such residue is removed before going into an automatic car wash! ;)

7. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

My wife wants to know what you use to keep your nails so hard without breaking to actually scratch the windsiheld!!!

Hope you don't chew your nails.... :huh:

Better have yerself checked for bird flu! :lol:

8. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Apr 7 2006, 11:45 AM) [snapback]236428[/snapback]</div>
    I use a VERY wet rag to get it moist and then remove it.

Still, it's a bummer about the window. :(

9. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I squirt a puddle of quick-detailer on the mess, and in a couple of minutes it just sort of floats off. You can blow it off - but don't do it in the garage! Then repeat and eventually wipe up the residue with a microfiber cloth.

10. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

Yep, I've heard some bad things about how bird dropings can scratch paint. As others have said, it apparently has little particles of rock or something very hard. So it must have been the droppings that scratched, not the fingernails.

The key to removing bird dropings is simply to use lots of fluid, whether it's water or some cleaning product. That dilutes out whatever abrasives are in it.