1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

..... "beware of craiglsist battery suppliers"

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by chronon, Jul 18, 2019.

1. chronon

chronon Active Member

here and there aint be in frozen wasteland no mo..
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    If you go this route, make sure u get the guy's name.
    Make sure the car is at least in the condition it was before he did the battery swap.
    Make sure u get a battery warranty, (not just a generic receipt with 2 dates on it) ..
    (get a contract talking about battery and battery replacement, maybe mileage, and what is and isnt covered,
    not just a 'fly by night' generic slip ... and a generic business card with no address

Beware this guy in the Orlando area, with number 347-774-4979.
    The car was driveable before he came, but not after his test drive.
    He claimed it was invertor but upon my asking after he left how much responsibility he had
    towards it (due to his overly rigourous test drive) he told me to sttop texting him.
    He kept insisting on 'battery code' as in one of the modules being bad, which never happened because I received errors like p0afa and p0a7a that superceded the flaky corroded battery tab issue) - see thread 'a few error codes' in the troubleshooting section of gen 2.

Also if guy is flooring the throttle back and forth down the road , don't let him abuse the car, - as a tech on this forum said( and what you should do after install) -- you drive the car, the tech rides shotgun with techstream in his lap monitoring readings during means and extreme modes of operation.

Guy goes by name "Hybrid Battery Doctor"

Picture is of voltage sense tab and connector, ultimate '1st problem' solved by cleaning the backside tab ..

His ad :
    "
    condition: like new
    make / manufacturer: Toyota
    model name / number: Prius
    2004-09 Toyota Prius Hybrid Battery
    Comes with 6 months written warranty
    Installation and delivery included
    Professional diagnostic software,TechStream and all necessary tools.Job takes 1-2 hours,including your vehicle 30 min test drive on different modes.
    MY BATTERY PACKS FULLY RECONDITIONED AND BALLANCED.READY TO USE.FULLY REBUILT HV HARNESS AND BUSBARS.
    All dashboard lights and red triangle will go away without resetting or code erased.

I come to you,so you won't spend any dollar on tow truck.Your car will be on the road same day.

Feel free to contact if you have any questions 347-774-4979

Attached Files:

2. chronon

chronon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    even after showing him many pics of the battery block 12 going negative ( it was flip flopping + and - every 1 to 3 seconds) off my torque display of all blocks, the guy seased responding.

#2 chronon, Jul 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    All craigslist battery guys are fly by night type of guys

#3 JC91006, Jul 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    Raytheeagle, Skibob and chronon like this.
  4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good news is that's a symptom of damaged voltage sensing wire, not battery... Do voltage testing on the specific battery blocks to confirm, then for $50-$90 Toyota will sell you: Wire, Frame, No. 2 #82165-47040

Replace that part and then move on to whatever else might be wrong with it...

Skibob and SFO like this.
  5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    either that or the nut on the terminal is not tightened

SFO likes this.
  6. chronon

chronon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yes - there was nothing about that battery that said ' pull from a wreck' -- it had at least 2 modules replaced and who knows how long the thing had been sitting with all the surface rust on the casing !
    My time to be critical and argumentive about work and parts being put in would have been then, instead, i was dumb and played friendly, thinking he would be like the last guy who did a good job and was thorough installing the pack even cleaning the HV fan thorougly of all the cat hairs !