1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Beware of hybrid battery doctor on ebay

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Robertkane1114, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Robertkane1114

Robertkane1114 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    We purchased a battery off eBay for $800 with a 6-month warranty for our 2007 Prius. They came out and replaced the battery in about 20min after waiting 2 weeks. Battery drained within 2-days and light popped again. They came back out another 2 weeks later and claimed they accidentally installed a battery they took out of another vehicle as they travel the country swapping batteries. The second battery lasted less the 4-months and contacting them 3-days prior to 6-month warranty sale date on eBay ending. They dragged there butts and after a lot of complaining they agreed to come replace the battery. Somewhere when he came back out he said my wife agreed to another $250 and I would have no warranty after this. I said what if I drive around the block and this battery is junk? He left and said call the 866 number. Go figure the next day the battery goes to one bar and the light pops. This guy is the owner trying to play it off as he’s not so he don’t get reamed for his bad batteries. Now they refuse to return our calls or emails. Guess next route will be small claims court. We were under warranty and the tried to force another $250 for there junk batteries. Now we are stuck with yet a 3rd bad battery in less then 6-months. Beware of those guys at 866-34-hybrid. Located out of Florida. They also want you to leave the feedback at the time of installation so you can’t leave a negative feedback on eBay after you wake up the next morning with junk.

Attached Files:

2. Robertkane1114

Robertkane1114 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I have been a shop owner for over 20-years. After confronting the hybridbatterydoc at this last installation with my years of knowledge is one of the reasons he left without pushing the $250 issue. I STRONGLY believe that he purposely set me up with another junk battery pack. Bad bad business!!! I NEVER treated a customer like this in my 23-years of owning a dealership and repair shop. It’s a shame BAD BUSINESS people like this give the entire automotive repair business world a bad rap. I been around the block a time or two and this company is a shame.

3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry to hear of your troubles, but we are hearing stories identical to yours all the time from so called battery repairers/rebuilders/remanufacturers. That is why we do not recommend any of those re-whatever services.

When you were researching your options, it is a pity you did not land here on PriusChat before you agreed to purchase that "service".

If it is any consolation, the only repairs to the HV battery that seem to work are transplanting the battery modules from a late model wreck or replacing all the modules with new. There are only two recommendations for new, one is 2k1Toaster's newpriusbatteries.com; the other is new from Toyota. For a short term fix to get you out a bind, you could also replace the 1 or defective modules yourself and then do a full recondition of the battery after that.

My opinion, sue that eBay seller and get your money back, then replace with one of the options above. If that is unsuccessful, cut and run. Chalk it up to experience.

I'm truly sorry for your pain, and I hope people that land on this thread in the future, learn from your experience.

All the best, with your journey.

#3 dolj, Feb 5, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    Skibob likes this.
  4. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Uh... yeah?

You bought a reconditioned battery. What does "reconditioned" mean? It means taking 28 random battery modules that are between 4 and 19 years old with unknown miles and unknown series resistance and slapping them together into a pack. The general consensus is you'll usually get 6 months to a year out of a well selected pack. This requires lots of battery modules to match them the best. A 6 month warranty or a 1 year warranty or 10 year warranty is moot. Most of these guys will either be bankrupt or ghost when you need to replace it. And everytime you replace it your car is down. Some vendors give "free" replacement but charge $100 to $250 for each time they come out to warrant it.

As long as you know what you're paying for you won't be disappointed.

Skibob and dubit like this.
  5. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, You can complain to eBay hopefully you get your money back, if not perhaps they will drop the guy. Go with new, either Toyota Factory or 2K1toasters new kit. This video shows how to get into the pack if you want to DIY:

Robert Holt likes this.
  6. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    In the current period that the "installed base" of Toyota hybrid batteries are reaching "old age" in their projected lifetimes, the only reliable replacement battery is one from a Toyota dealer.

It goes to say, "if it's too good to be true, it is likely NOT." This is one case that you get what you pay for.

In the future, when I will need a battery, I'd "pay the piper" and get one from the dealer.

7. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The only reliable option is a new battery. Dealer is no longer the only source of NEW batteries.

8. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

I'm trying to understand a bit more about what you might be able to sue for?

They sold a USED battery, that, if it failed during the 6 months, would be replaced. (At additional agreed upon cost of $250?)
    It sounds like the batteries were replaced each time they failed.

The company only needed to provide the coverage for 6 months, and if they performed to the letter of the agreed purchase during that 6 months I'm not sure what recourse there is? But I may be misunderstanding the agreement.

That said, I really appreciate you bringing this situation to light.
    These kind of outfits definitely give honest guys like me a bad rep.

I often provide free advice to folks when they call, even if they don't choose me as their mechanic, just to try to keep them from getting ripped off by unscrupulous outfits.

Thanks again for sharing your story.