1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

WTB Beware Scam Artists!!!

Discussion in 'Private Sales' started by Michael Crestohl, Nov 18, 2022.

1. Michael Crestohl

Michael Crestohl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hi All.

If you are posting a WANTED ad be especially aware that there are many scammers lurking in the background. I posted a modest listing for a wheel cover for my 2007 Touring Edition and received three responses from people who had just what I wanted but all turned out to be would-be scammers.

They all provided photos when requested. Initially they asked high prices but immediately came down to my offered amount. The key was they all insisted on payment through PayPal “Family and Friends”. This is a no fee service but is not to be used for goods and services because there is no protection or recourse available to the buyer when the purchased item never comes.

Another indicator is poor English usage and spelling. Many scammers online are not in this country and English is not their first language. Lack of education is also sometimes apparent.

i do a fair amount of “hosstrading” on a couple amateur radio sites and the scam artists are there in great number because some of that stuff is pretty pricey. Additionally there have been a number of incidents of “parts swapping” incidents reported to a point that most sellers do not accept returns.

Be careful out there!

Best regards to all, except scumbag scam artists!

Michael

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Also please report scammers who sign up. The report button is below the post.

TGrracie, tacopyro and Montgomery like this.
  3. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Scamming is a growth industry, all over the online sites, including Craigslist, Facebook, OfferUp, NextDoor. Y'all be careful out there.

4. Taxi/Limo

Taxi/Limo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Did you post here?
    I don't see a wanted section

5. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The 'Private Sales' forum includes a 'WTB' header

6. 2010moneypit?

2010moneypit? Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thank you.

Air_Boss likes this.
  7. Taxi/Limo

Taxi/Limo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I posted in private sales for something and this guy santraford a new member who told me his father has what I want
    I have been communicating with his "father" and I have not detected any scams so far.

8. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I posted a reply to
    For Sale - Hybrid Automotive Prolong Deluxe Reconditioning Package | PriusChat

Rec'd a PM from
    maxwellsq1000 | PriusChat

His message:
    the seller is not always active on the forums but you can contact him at [email protected] if you’re still interested

I emailed that I could pick up, and his reply:
    Yes still available but apparently I’ll make arrangements for shipping, I’m currently on a business trip.
    Let me know the shipping address? Thanks Best regards.

Hilarious, now just rec'd a reply from the actual seller.
    Small world, I'm actually in Melville...lol! I have a 2pm appointment in Yorkton today, I could bring the Prolong with me and meet up with you around 3, if that works with you. Maybe call/text me at XXX-XXX-XXXX since I will be hitting the road soon.

#8 alftoy, Dec 3, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
    Taxi/Limo likes this.
  9. pjw3

pjw3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you still want those rings I have a bunch. Sorry, no beachfront property in Arizona to go with them. My mom is in NW CT, just south of Great Barrington. I have '07 Touring rims I am listing for sale also.