1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Beware the myth of grass-fed beef

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by zenMachine, Jan 28, 2010.

1. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Grass-fed beef is not immune to deadly E. coli bacteria. - By James E. McWilliams - Slate Magazine

For many consumers, the case was closed: To avoid E. coli O157:H7, just eat grass-fed beef.

Unfortunately, the scientific evidence tells a very different story. Planck's assertion seems to be based on a 1998 report published in the journal Science. In this study, the authors fed three cows a variety of diets in order to ascertain how feed type influenced intestinal acidity in cows and, in turn, how intestinal acidity influenced the concentration of acid-resistant strains of E. coli. They hypothesized that these strains would be especially dangerous to humans, since they could survive the low-pH environment of the human stomach. It turned out that grain-fed cattle did indeed have a much more acidic stomach than those fed grass or hay. And sure enough, they had a million times more acid-resistant E. coli in their colons...

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Interesting article. Though I'm a bit confused and it's probably because I'm not a scientist (nor do I play one on tv).

The article says:
    Most importantly (in terms of consumer safety), scientists showed in a half-dozen studies that grass-fed cows do become colonized with E. coli O157:H7 at rates nearly the same as grain-fed cattle.

In the above paragraph, it says "at rates nearly the same" but there is also reference to the "a million times more acid-resistant E. coli. . ." huh?

Though I did enjoy this part:
    "These animals, he added, "stand around in their manure all day long, eating a diet of grain that happens to turn a cow's rumen into an ideal habitat for E. coli 0157:H7."

3. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I love grass-fed or feed-fed beef.

4. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

God Bless Cara Peller!!!!

5. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Happy animals are tastier animals. I :wub: free-range chicken and pork.

6. octavia

octavia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I remember something about ecoli being more prolific in grain fed cattle and that if they are returned to a grass diet for even a short time before slaughter, the amount of ecoli come down considerably. Is that what you're referring too?

So is this a distinction between any level of infection either ecoli is present or it isn't V.S how much ecoli is present?

7. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's like studies that show organic produce has the same nutrients as regular produce. They're missing the point - I like organic better because A) not as many pesticides and other nasty chemicals (OK, I know there's some, but less is less), B) better for the environment, and most of all C) it just tastes better.

1 person likes this.
  8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Some, perhaps, but I have witnessed blind taste tests where normal produce easily came out on top. I think the problem is that the term "organic" has a very fuzzy definition. It has some legal requirements, supposedly, but mostly it gets used as a marketing scam. I shudder to think of what "organic" products from China have been through.

I have also seen taste tests where a piece of fruit is cut in half. One half is put on a plate labeled "organic", while the other half goes onto a plate with a non-organic label. People raved over the organic fruit and exclaimed how much better it was. Never underestimate the power of the placebo effect.

Several of my farmer friends in this area grow excellent organic produce. Some also grow excellent non-organic produce. There are a lot of factors that go into good tasting food. A good farmer can produce a quality crop either way.

Tom

9. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't know grass-fed cows were reported to be eColi-free. I buy free-range beef because I think it's better for the environment, it supports local farmers, and it's better for me.

As for produce, home grown tastes way better. Fruit that's picked green and shipped half way across the country doesn't stand a chance, compared to picking something fresh out of the garden. I'd say the organic thing is more a matter of good stewardship than taste.

1 person likes this.
  10. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Bad article. E. coli O157:H7 is part of the normal bovine gut flora. It is a problem only when it contaminates meat for human consumption; a processing, not a biological problem.

11. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    On the topic of taste, I've read that meat tastes better when the cow is more relaxed when taken to slaughter. The argument is made that when a cow is fully awake, alive and aware that she is being hung upside down, deskinned, disemboweled and bled out they release adrenaline which simply doesn't taste that good. Industry average, reported by insiders, is that about 10% of the cows are fully conscious when they are being slaughtered.

12. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You wouldn't be trying to gross out any carnivores, now would you, Tony? :eek:

13. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    WAY better. Store produce is over engineered for shelf life and yield. Taste is at the bottom of the list. That's why I grow my own lettuce year round. To avoid the bland pesticide laced stuff. We have a continual supply of fresh organic lettuce of different varieties and save hundreds of dollars a year.

As for grass fed beef...I'm sorry to disagree, but I think the regular beef is tastier. On the rare occasion we want steaks, I want the regular. We get grass fed for ground beef, though, so we actually buy more grass fed than regular beef.

Taste is subjective!

14. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    We buy local produce whenever/wherever we can. And we also grow our own herbs. As for grass-fed beef, we've had varying degrees of better taste, sometimes none that we could tell. Of course, taste is a subjective matter, not to mention many other factors such as how something is seasoned and cooked.

One thing we ALWAYS avoid is seafood from China.

Anyhow, this article is about the danger of a certain E Coli bacteria and how grass-fed cows can carry it just as easily as grain-fed cows. But the danger is not limited to meat. Even produce can be contaminated.

What then is left for a person to eat??? :)

15. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    :noidea:

:whistle:

16. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll remember not to eat cow stomaches uncooked in future.