1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Beyond repair?

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by Meg555, Mar 7, 2023.

1. Meg555

Meg555 New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Can this be fixed? Would like to do it myself. Orange light comes on when plugged in, but not the green light for charging. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Not safely, no.

In the Owner’s Manual (PDF), page 111, Toyota warns, “Do not attempt to disassemble or repair the charging cable, charging connector, plug or CCID (Charging Circuit Interrupting Device).” The charging connector housing not only helps to protect the user against the danger of electric shock but also protects the internal wiring and components against damage that would compromise their own safety functions.

Indeed, even if you could somehow get a replacement for the cracked part of the housing, which Toyota doesn’t sell as a service part, the wiring may have already been stressed mechanically in ways that might compromise its future safety or reliability.

I’d suggest instead replacing the electric vehicle charger cable assembly with a new one, either from Toyota (part number G9060-47130, list price $844.78) or from another source. There are many suppliers of Level 1 charging cables, but I’d recommend buying one from a reputable supplier that has a verifiable listing by UL, CSA, or some other nationally recognized testing laboratory to the UL 2594 safety standard.

Meg555 likes this.
  3. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    You can buy replacement handles; but you'll have to move the "guts" over to the new handle - that's if your handy. The handle isn't cheap. I'd just buy a cheap replacement charging brick on amazon or ebay; and be done with it. You may be able to put that damaged one on FB or Craigslist to recoup some of your cost.

Good Luck...

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Anything can be fixed

did you run it over