1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Beyond the Atkinson/Miller Cycle?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jchu, Jun 29, 2005.

1. jchu

jchu New Member

Found this while I was browsing on HowStuffWorks.com. The QUASITURBINE engine. Apparently, much cleaner and more efficient than all current ICE's. Easily adapted for gasoline, alcohol, diesel (including bio) and even hydrogen. Supposedly doesn't even need oil lubrication!!! One problem... No real world experience. But could it represent yet another bridging technology??? :mrgreen:

Quasiturbine web link here

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

good luck, wheels in a combustion environment, I seriously doubt the longevity of this design in an automotive environment.

3. jchu

jchu New Member

Didn't read the following link (haven't had time yet) but here is the technical White Paper (pdf) on the quasiturbine. Suspect it doesn't address your concerns but I think the engine design comes out of Canada

Quasiturbine White Paper

4. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Neat article (as is a lot of the material on howthingswork.com).

I would be curious to hear some of the obstacles that have been encountered so far in the quasiturbine's "real-world" testing. Particularly, I wondered if the engine has to be significantly heavier than a normal engine, due to the increased pressures it has to deal with (even though the engine design alleviating some the containment issues.)