1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Big Bend National Park--the Tacoma or the Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bethmaup, Mar 10, 2005.

1. bethmaup

bethmaup New Member

There was a thread about low clearance, and I asked whether anyone had been to Big Bend National Park in a Prius or had been there recently enough to be able to suggest whether taking the Prius was a good idea. Mileage-wise, it would be; it's forever away from anything. But what about roads? Would it be better to drive our Tacoma (NOT a 4-wheel drive vehicle)?

It would also depend on whether we can put all that we need in the way of cameras and camping gear in the Prius. Any thoughts?

Beth

2. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    If you want to do the river road or the black gap road or the road to pine canyon then you should take the truck. If you are only interested in visiting the basin and Santa Elena canyon then you will be ok in the prius. The river road is a great way to get away from people. I've been on that road and not seen other people for days. Sometimes you will see a few. Most of the people that visit the park never leave the paved roads. It depends on what you are in to. Don't try any of the roads I mentioned in the Prius. It can't make it down those.

3. brianm

brianm New Member

We're planning for a trip the first week of April and have been having that same debate. In our case, it's either the Prius or a 4x4 Expedition. It really comes down to what you want to do. Forget about taking the Prius down any of the backcountry roads other than perhaps the Old Maverick Rd. If you're happy staying on the pavement and can get everything into the Prius, take that.

For us, it looks like the Expedition is winning out. I've been going to Big Bend every year for the last 20+ years and I don't think I could go and not take the back roads. That and I just don't think we could get everything we need for a week for two adults and a toddler in the Prius.

BTW, if you've never been before and have any other general questions about the park, feel free to PM me.

Brian

4. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well I will relate this story. At my son's high school they had a interim between winter quarter and spring were the kids did outdoor activities every year (required). One year my son went on a trip to Big Bend and canoed down the river for 5 days. On the way back they hit a rock in the road with their rented Van and it apparently set off the fuel pump cut off switch in the Van. No one knew about that and they almost missed their Plane back to Seattle. The Tow truck drive pulled up the carpet hit the button and they made it. Thank goodness it was pre 9/11 or they would have been stranded. BTW my son did golf, fly fishing, ocean kayaking, two hikes one on the Olympic beaches and one in the Cascades and the Big Bend trip. I wish I had a junior high and high school program like that. I got to help teach the fly fishing.

5. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm a new Gen III Prius owner, reviving this thread--I've posted a similar on on the Gen III Prius forum.
    I'm interested in advice in driving in and around Big Bend National Park--I've never been there before. Which of the unpaved roads are OK for a Prius? Or should we just bag the idea and take an old Subaru Forester (146K miles and my wife doesn't really trust it any more for a 2,000 mile trip)?

Ray Moore above indicated the Prius might not be so good for the River Road. We did want to do that from Big Bend to Presidio. I thought from the tourist info that this was a paved road. Am I wrong? Anyone else have an opinion on that road or any other roads?

And anyone have comments on interesting places to stay within say a hundred miles of Big Bend?

Thanks