1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Big Day in Offshore Wind

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by wjtracy, Nov 1, 2023.

1. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The good news is Virginia is now Fed-approved going ahead with a massive offshore wind project.
    The reason why: Virginia wants to pay full cost (ratepayers on the hook ) to take the lead. The towers made-in-Germany are arriving now. These will be big ~15MW turbines.

The bad news is apparent mass extinction of the other northeast offshore wind projects, which were low cost bid, and ORSTED is not able to honor. South Fork NY (12 turbines) still going, and the New England project is under construction .

https://www.inquirer.com/science/orsted-new-jersey-offshore-wind-ocean-wind-20231031.html

#1 wjtracy, Nov 1, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2023
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it will be interesting to see where rates go when NE comes online

wjtracy likes this.
  3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Offshore wind energy harvest projects are considered ,,, right where you'd expect them to be. See the maps. Those on east US confront hurricane arrivals. Not all others globally need to be built for that - see the other maps.

But energy needs follow populations, and energy innovation follows investments, so here we go.

Ankle biters may claim fishery harvests will be neg impacted but with little or no evidence. It's their job to do so, they get paid to do so, so not worth hating on.

I've yet to see an offshore farm after a cat 5 hurricane passage and that's what I await.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I always figured the dead birds would make excellent fish food. Best of all, the noise might mask sneaky quiet, fishing boats.

Bob Wilson

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There is not much experience with these huge new 12MW+ turbines being constructed on the East Coast. That will be one risk factor. I heard from advocates that China has a lot of offshore wind, I'd ask turbine size?

Perhaps hurricane winds are not so bad to design for, apparently the tornados that hurricanes spawn is strictly an over-land phenomenon due to structures. As long as the turbines themselves do no cause that, we'll be OK?

Our utilities tend to be state-run monopolies, who are guaranteed to be paid back for project costs and will get good profits guaranteed on the power generated, so that means the States are gun-ho for new power plants, and cost is no object sometimes.
    Perhaps this scenario has already resulted in high electric costs in the Northeast, so they were trying to control costs with low-cost bids that flopped. Virginia has fairly low elec cost (fairly high elec usage as we have relatively more heat pumps vs. gas heat) so I guess elected officials figured we could afford this, perhaps a little like Georgia opting for mega-expensive new nukes.

7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Whenever people make things, or lose them, in the sea, the wildlife shows up and make it home.