1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Big drop in MPG after service - SOLVED!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by jboyes, Feb 4, 2010.

1. jboyes

jboyes New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I want to say a big THANK YOU to the people who contributed to this thread, especially the guys who pointed out about overfilling the engine oil.

I was getting between 52 and 54 MPG (UK gallons) when my 2008 Prius had to go in for a service to the Toyota dealers. When I got it back, I was only getting 40 to 42 MPG.

I went back to the dealer who checked the tyre pressures and said that all was OK. The guy I spoke to said he didn't understand why my milage had dropped and that I might have done my sums wrong. When I asked him if he was just going to leave it at that, he just shrugged his shoulders.

Then I read this page. I checked the oil level. 17 mm OVERfilled.

I took the car back and spoke to a senior person at the dealership who had 0.4 litres of oil removed from the sump.

I am now back to 50 to 52 MPG but the weather has gone quite cold here so that explains the tiny drop.

Once again. THANK YOU to the people who raised this problem and those came up with the correct solution.

Best wishes to all.

John.

2 people like this.
  2. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Shared info to the rescue again! Glad it helped you, but I'm also hoping that the dealer learned something about how to do an oil change. I do my own just because I hate paying someone to do something that I'll just have to check myself anyway.

- D

3. prioki

prioki Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Wow, that is really good to know, John. I'm glad you were able to solve it.

4. NYPrius1

NYPrius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yes, This had been a constant problem. When I get my service done, I TELL The Service Writer, I want the oil a notch below fill and the tires Front 42 and Rear 40.
    Before I leave I check the tires with my gauge and take a quick check of the dipstick.

I will say Johnston's Toyota here in Middletown has been very good about this.
    My lifetime mpg is 52/56 56 Summer 52 Winter.