1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BIG news from the smallest state...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by ToyotaTech38026, Apr 2, 2008.

1. ToyotaTech38026

ToyotaTech38026 Certified Toyota/Scion Tech

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hello everyone,
    Well I am on my lunch break and I figured I would chime in to share some really cool news! There is a small division out or Warwick, Rhode Island that has removed the hybrid battery and installed 8 lithium-ion batteries. It is a REAL plug in-Prius. They have been testing this vehicle for about 20,000 miles now and their average for fuel ecomony is 107mpg :eek:. They visited us because they have a malfunction light in. You literally plug the car in, they say about twice a week for re-charge, and your good to go! I pulled codes for the Hybrid ECU, the car is confused because it is sending information to the engine ecu....but getting no report because the hybrid battery has been replaced. This car has NO driveabitily problems, and other than this...in perfect condition. I figured I'd share this cool info....to technology and beyond!!

2. Brodie

Brodie New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Very cool! Please keep us updated. Go Lil' Rhody!

3. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There are a bunch of folks working on this, the first ones started driving around in 2004. Not to downplay this announcement, these are still pretty rare (particularly with Li-ion). Some good info on the conversions can be found here:

Prius PHEV - EAA-PHEV

Toward the bottom is a summary of status, range, and cost for the various conversions. Cost is currently the biggest issue, as the specialized controllers and batteries are pretty expensive in small volume.

Rob