1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

big problems after recall

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Monz, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Monz

Monz New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I brought my 2012 Prius in on St. Patrick's Day for routine scheduled maintenance and was informed about the recall--I hadn't even known yet. I was told it would just take an additional 45 minutes for the software update--no big deal. Except that it was.

They said the computer that was hooked up to my car crashed during the update, and my car computer would no longer recognize the hybrid system. They had no explanation for the crash and said their computer had a full battery, etc. so it didn't make sense, but they would call Toyota to find out way to do and in the meanwhile I would have a rental.

It is April 7 and I still have the rental. They said the part needed, a new computer, is on backorder. They hope it will be in by the end of April but there are no guarantees.

Has anyone heard of this? My car was running perfectly before this. Do you think this will be an ongoing issue? Anyone have any advice? I am not happy to be still in my gas drinking rental; I really just want my own car back! Or a few people were telling me I should demand a new car, but that sounds maybe like crazy talk...

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sorry to here about your issue. toyota has had some serious backorders as witnessed by a few threads here. once they get the new part installed, you won't have any future problems. all the best!(y)

3. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    What does the Florida Lemon Law say?

4. Monz

Monz New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for your reply; I am hoping you are right and once I get my car back I will have no problems! I just want it back soon! And this just seemed like a weird issue to me.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well, they are protecting the inverter by supplying less battery power during hard acceleration. what happe during your update is a mystery.(n)

6. Monz

Monz New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Florida Lemon Law says that if you have a new car in the first 24 months that is undriveable for at least 15 days you are eligible for a potential refund or replacement, so by that I may qualify. But I really don't want to go that route if it isn't necessary as I love my car. It just seems like a major issue with needing a new computer and it seems strange to me that I need to wait so long. If I get it back when they say I might, it will be almost two months, and so far they say they don't know if I will even get it back then. Frustrating.

7. Monz

Monz New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    a mystery is right!

8. xraydoug

xraydoug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I would ask for free gas for the loaner car. I would ask about the lemon law info. If this car has unfixiable issues it's only reasonable to have it replaced. that is how I look at it. Hope things go well with it.:rolleyes:

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ridiculous. i think i would start pursuing the lemon law and see where it goes.

10. Monz

Monz New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you, and great idea about asking for gas!

11. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would also demand a Prius rather than a gas guzzler until you get your car back.

Zythryn likes this.
  12. engerysaver

engerysaver Real Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is the 2ed time I heard this happen!!:( ..... It sounds like they hooked up something wrong;
    and cooked it!!:mad:
    They should lone you the same type of car; and YES, I would demand free gas;
    while asking them about the lemon law.:LOL:

13. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I hope you can get everything resolved, and be back where you want to be - soon. :unsure:

14. hybridbear

hybridbear Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I agree with other posters. Request free gas for loaner and start pursuing Lemon Law.

15. Monz

Monz New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I appreciate the comments; I will look into free gas at least and try to see if they can speed it up!

16. TechGeek

TechGeek New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I think it's a pretty easy fix, and it shouldn't hurt your car at all.. With the type of memory used in car computers (at least during my time as a tech for chevy...), if for some reason something fails during programming - connection loss, weak battery, etc.. You can't 'start over' they just have to replace the computer

17. neez

neez Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's because somehow the bootloader software got wiped. The only way to load it is usually directly on the circuit board via a JTAG or similar connector. This is usually done just after the circuit board is manufactured but before it's installed into the metal casing. Then it's loaded with vehicle software via the external connectors probably via CAN.

canta likes this.
  18. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My son bricked quite a few phones by "updating" the hardware. Mental note to myself: don't try to do it to my car at home.

19. jharwd

jharwd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If the dealer computer crashed, it would be their problem.Toyota has the softwear to fix the problem with your prius.
    The dealer should make it right whatever it takes.Pay for the loaner,gas,and whatever else.

20. jgilliam1955

jgilliam1955 Sometime your just gotta cry! 2013 Prius 4.

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You know when you watch a software update and you see that warning "Do not cut off during update"....maybe that's what happened to your car. Lets us know how this ends. Good luck