1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BIGGER tires for my 2010 Prius???

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by White-Wagon, Mar 9, 2011.

1. White-Wagon

White-Wagon New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I live in a community/environment where potholes are everywhere and they are REALLY REALLY bad. The potholes here take out suspensions, front bumpers, rims, tires and various other expensive car parts. :scared: :help:

I want to keep my new Prius safe or at least somewhat safe from these car-killers. I know what your thinking... "just swerve around them"... Come here. Drive for a week. Swerving is not an option. They are everywhere and I hit tens to hundreds a day. They are a foot to several feet in diameter, and usually at least over 6 inches deep.

There is a large gap between the tire tread and the body side molding of my prius, I would assume there is plenty of room there for a larger sidewall tire. I would want to put on bigger tires and have them slightly under pressure, causing a smoother ride and less of a daily beating to my Prius.

I know this would significantly decrease my mileage, but to pro-long the life of the car, it would be worth the sacrifice to me. What are my options here? Is this a good option? Please give me your opinion.

I know there are specific tires made for the Prius. Help me decide if bigger tires, in my case, is a sustainable solution.

Thanks!!!!:D

2. andino

andino Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You can just upsize the sidewall to 70 or 75 i guess. You'd throw the speedo off a bit though

3. Kentwang

Kentwang Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Last week my friend told me, at Costco, if you try to buy tires those are not to the spec of the vehicle, they will not do it.

apt5020 likes this.
  4. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I also heard that, but I've successfully had Costco install lower profile tires on a previous car. Most likely it depends on who you talk to, just like how some dealers are willing to disable the reverse beeping/seat belt chimes whereas others won't.

5. nickfromny

nickfromny Member since 2007

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    09 Touring came with 16" wheels and that resulted in a shorter sidewalled tire. You could buy 14" wheels and match tires to stock height. That is what Toyota does on its tundra rock warrior tires/wheels. Street wheels are 20" while rock warrior wheels are 16" tire sidewall height is much bigger to absorb the hits the off road rock warrior will incounter. Use Tire Racks software to put together the wheel/tire combo that will do what you want.

6. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  7. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    ^^ On man, that looks intense!

8. Red_Prii

Red_Prii Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    2010 Prius Two
    Replaced stock 15's ( 195/65/r15 tires ) with 16" steelies ( 205/60r16 tires) Michelin Defenders.

MPG dash readout went from 53.8mpg to 52.1mpg

No rub issues even at full turn lock. Overall car height lifted about 1.2 inches. Acceleration requires slightly more pedal depress, but not bad at all. Stopping also requires slightly more depressing, but not bad at all. No major noise change. No major handling changes during normal driving.

Stock 15" wheel & tire weight: 32.3 lbs.
    New 16" wheel & tire weight: 43.9 lbs.

9. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Smart idea. My low profile tires result in bottoming out more than I'd like. Good thinking for your situation

10. Red_Prii

Red_Prii Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My new sidewall height is the same as the original 195/65/r15.

11. Red_Prii

Red_Prii Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two

MISTAKE: Overall height went up "0.5" inches. NOT 1.2 inches.

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, same tire height (sounded plausible) and a 1" increase in rim dia, 1/2" is what I was thinking.

Now your pot holes are a mere 5.5" deep. ;)

Complain to your city? Get a Wrangler? (n)

Maybe if car owners started suing them for damage??